Director of Marketing - Irish Arts Center
- Full Time
Background: Irish Arts Center (IAC), founded in 1972, is a national and international home for artists and audiences of all backgrounds who share a passion for the evolving arts and culture of contemporary Ireland and Irish America. Based in Hell’s Kitchen, New York City, IAC presents, develops, supports, promotes, tours and distributes work from established and emerging artists, providing cultural experiences that are innovative, collaborative, diverse, authentic, emotionally and intellectually transporting, meet the highest standards of excellence, and celebrate our common humanity. IAC also provides community education programs and access to the arts for adults and children of all ages and ethnic, racial and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Following the successful completion of a $60 million campaign, Irish Arts Center has begun construction of a landmark new permanent home, opening in Autumn 2020, including a state of the art flexible performance and arts space for the presentation and development of work across a range of disciplines, including music, dance, theatre, film, visual arts, literature and the humanities; classrooms and studio spaces for education programs, development, and collaboration; technology to stream and distribute content on the digital platform; and an avenue-facing lobby café that will be a hub for hospitality and interaction between artists and audiences. As part of a second phase, IAC will renovate its adjacent existing building to provide a second, intimate performance space—the historic Irish Arts Center theatre—optimized for the most intimate live music and conversation, recordings, podcasts, master classes and special events, and a beautiful new courtyard entrance on 51st Street where the historic Irish Arts Center and the new building will meet.
The Position: IAC seeks a data driven, creative, goal-oriented Director of Marketing (DOM) to drive sales success for Irish Arts Center programming and education programs as it prepares to open its new 11th Avenue facility.
The DOM will lead the three person marketing staff to develop and execute compelling campaigns around each project in the eclectic Irish Arts Center program. Joining the team a year in advance of the new facility’s opening, the DOM – in collaboration with the Executive Director, the Directors of Programming and Education, Production, Operations, and Development, and other internal and external colleagues – will play a critical role in the development of new marketing and front-of-house systems, as well as in the programming and branding priorities for the Opening Season.
Successful candidates will have some background in performing arts marketing; a record of success in executing discreet marketing campaigns from inception to completion; a passion for the work we do; an entrepreneurial spirit and comfort in a start-up, all-hands-on-deck work culture; a strong work ethic, open mind, and a sense of humor.
• Manage and implement comprehensive, multi-channel marketing strategies for IAC
• Development and execute short-term and long-term strategies for single ticket sales, membership, and group sales
• Develop and execute innovative, data-driven audience development strategies that focus on increasing patron loyalty, reaching new audiences, and increasing audience diversity
• Collaborate with program and development teams to update, manage, and grow our CRM
• Develop and execute targeted grassroots and community outreach initiatives, including engagement with local neighborhood
• Develop reporting analytics to generate key sales
• Analyze sales data, report trends, and make recommendations to increase ROI
• Strategize and facilitate dynamic pricing initiatives and inventory management
• Plan and manage marketing, media, advertising, audience development budget
• Liaise with outside public relations firm collaborating on overall press strategy
• Oversee all house programs and editorial content
• Coordinate membership sales with development team
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent work experience necessary
• Minimum of four years of marketing, arts management or audience development in the arts and culture space
• An appreciation and vocabulary for artistic work and a passion for building community
• Understanding of marketing reports/procedures and industry best practices; comfort working with data
• Patron-centric and customer-service focus
• Responds well to a deadline-driven, multi-task environment
• Self-directed with strong ability to plan ahead, to work independently, and set and adhere to deadlines
• Personable with exceptional oral and written communications skills
• Strong attention to detail; able to handle several tasks simultaneously
• Ability to facilitate conversations with small and large groups of diverse stakeholders
• Strong computer skills, including MS Office products: Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
• Knowledge of OvationTix, Tessitura, The Raisers Edge or similar CRM system is a plus
• Evenings/weekends required
For more information about the Irish Arts Center, please visit https://irishartscenter.org/
IAC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, creed (religion), color, sex (including gender expression), national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To Apply: IAC has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Debbie Farrell, Senior Director, Leadership & Development
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put the words “Irish Arts Center” in the subject line of your emailed application (resume and cover letter).