Media Relations Associate
- Full Time
Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights seeks a Media Relations Associate in the Communications Department to work closely with the Communications Director to support the organization’s national, regional, local, and international media relations activities.
- Produce and distribute media pitches, media alerts, press releases, talking points, fact sheets, FAQs, blog content, and profiles
- Customize media lists for specific efforts and maintain media list for RFK Human Rights overall, which we seek to grow over time
- Proactively cultivate and pitch key media contacts, journalists, and top-tier media outlets
- Build relationships of respect and trust with RFK Human Rights’ program directors in order to effectively build visibility of their work and the expertise they represent
- Consume all types of media, from local to international press, print, broadcast TV to twitter, keeping an eye out for opportunities to tell the organization’s stories
- Research information for stories, interviews, and to help evaluate requests
- Oversee media monitoring efforts, tracks results, and produces coverage reports
- Respond promptly to external and internal requests for information and photos
- Manage and coordinate celebrity-related communications, including coordinating social media posts, working with celebrity PR teams, cultivating influencers, etc.
- Collaborate on a day to day basis with the team’s Communications Associate, who manages digital communications and marketing, and our Graphic Designer
- Liaison between RFK Human Rights’ public relations partners including Sunshine Sachs and Guestbooker and the RFK Human Rights’ Communications team
- All new staff will undergo an introductory period of three (3) months as a training and learning period
- Do your part in keeping our operations running smoothly - tracking your hours and submitting timecards in a timely manner
- At least 3+ years experience in public or media relations, communications, journalism, politics, or related work
- Experience using media research tools like Meltwater
- A demonstrated interest in human rights and in working for an organization dedicated to a more just and peaceful world
- Experience producing deadline-driven written materials—you write persuasively, concisely, creatively, and when necessary, quickly!
- Effective at proactive pitching, experience working with media and leveraging relationships to secure impactful media opportunities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, research, and problem-solving skills—a strategic thinker!
- Attention to detail, you’re able to scope out errors and willing to fix mistakes;
- Time management, you have the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at once;
- Innovative thinking, an unwillingness to accept things as they are, and a strong work ethic are essential
- Teamwork, you are able to build positive relationships with your colleagues and are willing to help others;
- Inclusive, you’re excited to work with colleagues with different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives from your own.
Benefits and other Perks:
- 37.5 hour workweek (7.5 hour days);
- Medical & Dental, RFK Human Rights covers 100% of individual only medical and dental costs;
- 401(k), automatic contribution of 7% of your salary after your first anniversary;
- College Saveup/Loan PayDown, automatic $100/monthly contribution for any current loans or future loans;
- Cell Phone stipend, monthly reimbursement to offset any cell phone expenses;
- Telecommuting, flexibility to work from home;
- Other fun perks include but are not limited to, staff summer outings, domestic and international staff retreats, galas, and award ceremonies.
How to Apply:
- Submit your resume and cover letter via email with “Your Name + Media Relations Associate” in the subject heading.
- In your cover letter please include how you heard about us and what interests you the most about this position.
You are welcomed here...
Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer and believes we are stronger and more effective by working internally and externally with people of all abilities, diverse backgrounds, and a range of perspectives, including those who have historically been marginalized or underrepresented. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We do not discriminate in our hiring practices and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seek a diverse applicant pool.
Apply for Media Relations Associate
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly