University Relationship Manager
- Full Time
The Conversation US – an independent, nonprofit daily online news outlet that publishes explanatory journalism and commentary written by academics and edited by journalists for the general public – is looking for a creative and entrepreneurial individual with experience in journalism and university communications to join our dynamic team.
The University Relationship Manager is a new position created to strengthen relations between our supporting member universities and The Conversation newsroom, as well as to seek out interesting and important research in higher education institutions to share with the public. Your primary role will be to communicate regularly with member universities and share our mission of democratizing knowledge with faculty and communication teams to help boost their engagement with The Conversation newsroom. You will work to help scholars and communication teams improve story ideas for topical, interesting and relevant articles for our website and wide network of republishers. You will also regularly commission and edit content for The Conversation from university members.
The ideal candidate for this position is a relationship builder who understands the value that university experts bring to the public conversation. Organization is a critical piece of the job, as is a creative mind and rigorous editing skills to produce content at The Conversation’s high standards. The Conversation receives much of its funding from over 55 member colleges and universities, who are critical to our success.
This position is located in our Boston newsroom and reports to our Editor and General Manager. We offer a competitive salary and generous benefits.
As the key contact for our university members, you will:
- Assist in managing relationships with university communicators and media relations teams day to day
- Provide consistent communication with our member university partners
- Be the key liaison between the TCUS editorial team and our university members
- Review member university experts’ article pitches and provide feedback for improvement
- Identify experts within our member universities to contribute to analyses and commentary or longer-term projects and series
- Commission and edit content for our website
- Analyze and visualize key metrics to help track university participation and readership data
- Deliver presentations about The Conversation to university and other teams as needed
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA:
The successful candidate will be an independent self-starter with both journalism editing and university communications experience for a combined total of three years. We are looking for a curious, strategic thinker with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Must be a team player able to build trusting relationships with internal and external parties. The candidate should enjoy making presentations, both in person and via video conferencing, to small and large groups of university faculty and senior-level personnel. Travel within the U.S. of up to 15% is required. The candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com