The Production Editorial Department of the Berkley Publishing Group is seeking a self-motivated individual to join their team as an Assistant Production Editor. In this role, you will copyedit and proofread book covers for frontlist and backlist fiction titles. This role supports the production editors with all phases of text production for both original and reprint titles and collaborates with other departments within the imprint.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Copyediting and proofreading all phases of cover production, from cover copy to printer proofs.
* Maintaining meticulous records of all cover, reprint, and CIP information and materials.
* Assisting production editors with all phases of text work throughout the production process, including styling and preparing copyedited manuscripts for typesetting, reviewing proofread pages and final text blues, and performing quality control reviews of netgalleys and ebooks.
* Proofreading TI sheets, reader guides, front sales, and other miscellaneous marketing materials.
* Maintaining the backlist reprint corrections file for text, covers, and ebooks, preparing reprint correction memos, and proofreading updated backlist text and covers.
* Attending weekly reprint meetings.
* Assisting with record keeping and title maintenance, photocopying and scanning materials, and keeping active and archived filing systems organized and up-to-date.
* Providing administrative support for the department, including trafficking various materials, ordering supplies, processing invoices, and sending books to the Library of Congress.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* At least one year of related production editorial, managing editorial, production, or editorial experience
* Genuine interest in production editorial
* Exceptional copyediting and proofreading skills; knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
* Superb attention to detail
* Excellent organizational and time-management skills
* Ability to prioritize multiple assignments, work well under pressure, and consistently meet tight deadlines
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Self-motivated team player with good critical thinking skills
* Proficiency with Microsoft Word (including the “track changes” editing function), Excel, and Outlook
* Familiarity with ebooks and eReaders
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.