Viking Children’s Books is looking for a dynamic senior/executive editor to join their team. This person is primarily responsible for discovering, developing and editing 10-12 books a year with a focus on middle-grade and young adult fiction and graphic novels. This imprint has published beloved titles such as Corduroy, Llama Llama and Madeline, as well authors such as Max Brallier, Gayle Forman, and Laurie Halse Anderson.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
* Discovers, develops, and edits 10-12 book projects per year, a mix of middle grade, YA, and graphic novels including overseeing all phases of production and regular involvement in marketing.
* Co-supervises an editorial assistant.
* Develops, nurtures, and maintains new and ongoing relationships with authors, artists, agents, and industry professionals.
* Attends weekend conferences (often including a national librarian or teachers’ convention), and represents the imprint at various other industry events.
* Drafts P&Ls, contract requests, and various copy.
* Aware of trends and competition.
* At least 10 years of children’s book editing experience.
* Proven children’s book successes.
* Excellent verbal/presentation skills, as well as writing, proofreading, and copywriting skills.Effective time management skills and ability to meet deadlines in a time-sensitive environment.
* Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills and the ability to deal with challenging people and situations.
* Has established contacts in the industry
* Ability to travel up to 5% of the year via airplane, train and/or automobile required.
* PC fluency (Microsoft Word required; PowerPoint and Excel recommended).Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.