- Full Time
The Reporter is a seasoned journalist who works in a newsroom that emphasizes breaking news, daily investigative reporting and severe weather coverage. The Reporter has ideas, digs for extra information, writes well, loves “live” and expects to win. The Reporter should also be hungry to use new technology to present stories and should be adept at using social media to gather and break stories. The reporter will also engage with viewers on social media daily and create digital content daily.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work independently to research and uncover stories as an investigative reporter, deciding when and where to report to work based on a shoot location or other scheduling requirements.
- Analyze and interpret information to improve the audience’s understanding.
- Report on multiple stories in a given day, often in multiple newscasts, frequently working solo.
- Cultivate and maintain news sources throughout the community.
- Contact, interview and confirm news sources for television reports.
- Use of enterprise skills to identify hard-news stories for delivery on television and the ability to consistently translate those news stories to social media.
- Contribute ideas for enterprise stories and new angles on continuing stories.
- Proven success in delivering breaking news stories to viewers and engaging audiences through the use of all facets of social media.
- Adept at the use of social media to gather and break stories.
- Experienced ability to drive the KIRO 7 brand on-air, on-line, and on social media.
- Field produce and report stories for television.
- Maintain a professional, working relationship with all KIRO News team members.
- Alert the KIRO News Director to any news coverage that may cause problems for KIRO legally, corporately, or in the community.
- Complete specific projects as requested by the News Director or Managing Editor.
- Be consistently up-to-date on current news stories, on a local, national, and international level.
- Be conversant with newsroom computer systems (old and new) and continually contribute information to its data base.
- Be conversant with journalistic law and ethics and general FCC policies concerning broadcast.
- Daily local, some regional and additional travel is required as part of the job.
- Engage with viewers several times a day on social media; including but not limited to sharing stories, replying to viewers, and writing posts.
- Produce stories for kiro7.com on a daily basis.
- Ability to narrate, ad-lib and add value to live breaking news and severe weather coverage.
- The ability to engage in investigative reporting that adds depth to the newscast.
- Thorough understanding of social media and demonstrated ability to move audience between all platforms.
- Curiosity that drives an understanding of current events in Seattle and beyond.
- Demonstrate consistently high proficiency with the necessary technical, writing, and presentation skills for television broadcasts.
- Strong writing and editorial skills required.
- B.A Degree in Journalism, Communications, or Other discipline preferred.
- 3 years experience as a Reporter required.
- Experience as a Multi Media Journalist is a plus.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must be thoroughly professional in all aspects of journalism.
- Must be well read on current affairs and have a wide-range working knowledge and understanding of general interest subjects.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, and walk.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.