Press Secretary and Policy Research Specialist
- Full Time
The Maryland State Education Association is seeking a creative, strategic, and versatile Press Secretary and Policy Research Specialist to play a key role in the Association’s communications and policy initiatives. This is a dynamic, fast-paced position well suited for a candidate passionate about creating positive change for Maryland’s public school educators and students.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- At least three years of experience working with the press, including serving as a spokesperson and source on policy issues, pitching and successfully placing stories, and proactively developing press strategies, especially around issue advocacy OR at least five years of recent experience as a member of the press
- At least three years of experience developing written analyses of public policy for public consumption. Focus on education policy preferred but not required.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Knowledge of public education issues, Maryland politics and schools, and polling preferred but not required
- Proficiency with social media and video editing preferred but not required
- Demonstrated ability to develop productive and sustained relationships with diverse groups and individuals within an organization as well as outside partners and members of the media
- Demonstrated ability to work on tight deadlines with a high level of efficiency and accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative work environment
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent and expert judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness in developing new ideas, approaches, and solutions
- Availability to work weekends and evenings and travel as needed
- Has or is able to obtain and maintain a driver’s license in the State of Maryland
- Develops press and public outreach strategies to support association’s communications and strategic goals and the work of MSEA and Maryland’s educators
- Leads media outreach efforts, pitching stories, providing background, coordinating interviews, developing press relationships, and prepping association spokespeople
- Research and write policy briefs, policy analyses, or other publications on Maryland education policy, geared towards legislators, policymakers, and press
- Plans and executes earned media events around issues important to the association (i.e. press conferences, policy conferences, panel discussions, etc), as well as during American Education Week, Teacher Appreciation Day, etc.
- Writes and edits press releases, advisories, statements, op-eds, talking points, and speeches by association leaders
- Provides content and editorial support to association publications such as MSEA’s member magazine, the MSEA website, mass emails, videos, and social media
- Provides policy research support for advocacy efforts before the General Assembly and other key decision-makers
- Works with local affiliates and outside organizations on message development, issue campaigns, and press strategies
- Trains local affiliates on public relations, public speaking, and working with the media
- Leads media database reporting and maintenance
- Closely monitors education news and events to identify and develop media outreach plans, including rapid response to relevant breaking stories
- Develops paid media campaigns around association priorities
- Works extended hours, including evenings and weekends, when necessary, in order to perform assigned responsibilities
- Performs other duties as assigned
The deadline for submission is the close of business on September 14, 2019.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit:
- a cover letter
- your resume
- the application form available at marylandeducators.org/careers
Complete materials may be sent to:
Assistant Executive Director, Communications and Member Engagement
Maryland State Education Association
140 Main Street
Annapolis, MD 21401-2020
You may also email materials to email@example.com.
This position reports to the Assistant Executive Director for Communications and Member Engagement. This is a bargaining unit organizational specialist position and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the agreement between MSEA and the Professional Staff Organization (PSA).The Maryland State Education Association is seeking a creative, strategic, and versatile Press Secretary and Policy Research Specialist to play a key role in the Association’s communications and policy initiatives. This is a dynamic, fast-paced position well suited for a candidate passionate about creating positive change for Maryland’s public school educators and students.