Editor (Illustrated Books)
- Full Time
Do you love editing, writing, and leading creative teams on cutting-edge projects for some of the world’s biggest brands and personalities? Do you enjoy crafting innovative ideas and seeing them through to award-winning finished products? Do you love the art of bookmaking but are as equally excited about being exposed to other media, such as apps, events, films, and websites? Do you have a good attitude? Are you an ace editor/producer who thrives with a lot of plates spinning, doesn’t drop any, and stays calm and collected under pressure? Are you looking to join a fun team of storytelling nerds who are looking to change the world?
If you answered yes to these questions, we want to hear from you. We are Melcher Media, a leading producer of award-winning books and content. For 25 years, we have been at the forefront of storytelling, publishing 30 New York Times best sellers, winning Apple’s award for best designed app of the year, and garnering numerous industry accolades for our print and digital titles. We’re known for developing the best and most innovative illustrated books in the industry, for some of the biggest names and most cutting-edge companies—from Al Gore, Oprah Winfrey, and J. J. Abrams to Lexus, Microsoft, Netflix, and Nike, among many others. We also produce the annual Future of StoryTelling Summit, an exclusive, by-invitation-only gathering devoted to exploring the evolution of storytelling in the digital age.
Basically, we do some really cool stuff, and we’re looking for an exceptionally bright and talented person to join our team and become a one-person publishing powerhouse, focusing on production editing. Successful candidates will:
- Have a college degree and 5 to 10 years of experience in book publishing, ideally making illustrated books (some experience developing custom-published books is a definite plus).
- Take a leadership role on many different kinds of book projects, from conceptualization to hiring and managing freelancers, maintaining budgets, and achieving final, on-time delivery.
- Edit content, which may range from captions to full manuscripts to project proposals.
- Use your strong visual sensibility to direct the creation and selection of images, oversee designers, and brainstorm innovative formats.
- Work directly with new and existing clients to conceive, create, and deliver book projects, keeping them apprised of progress and ensuring that they are appropriately involved and happy with the creative process, and proud of the final results.
- Be adept at hiring and managing creative teams of writers, editors, designers, etc., drawing on an extensive network of industry contacts.
- Possess a meticulous attention to detail, including a firm grasp of English grammar and familiarity with Chicago Style.
- Feel comfortable working with and guiding demanding clients/authors while also ensuring their bookmaking experience is enjoyable.
- Be interested in being exposed to other kinds of non-book projects, such as immersive experiences, events, films, and websites.
- Possess a unique creative perspective, boundless curiosity, lots of energy, and enthusiasm—and use it all to contribute to our small team’s culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
If your interest is piqued, please send your résumé and a cover letter explaining why you think this job is a good fit for you. No phone calls please.