Marketing and Communications Manager
- Full Time
About the Future of StoryTelling (FoST)
FoST is a passionate community of people from the worlds of media, technology, and communications who are exploring how storytelling is evolving in the digital age. At the heart of FoST are two signature events. The two-day, invitation-only FoST Summit gathers top thinkers and practitioners from diverse fields to share ideas and experiences shaping the storytelling landscape. In addition to the Summit, FoST also produces a wide range of content and programming, such as curated exhibitions; an annual series of short films; regular influencer salons, tech tastings, and storytelling workshops; monthly newsletter, and other social media content aimed at FoST’s network of over half a million enthusiastic followers.
About Melcher Media
Melcher Media is a leading producer of award-winning books and content. For 25 years, we have been at the forefront of storytelling, publishing 30 New York Times best sellers, winning Apple’s award for best designed app of the year, and garnering numerous industry accolades for our print and digital titles. We’re known for developing the best and most innovative illustrated books in the industry, for some of the biggest names and most cutting-edge companies—from Al Gore, Oprah Winfrey, and J. J. Abrams to Lexus, Microsoft, Netflix, and Nike, among many others. We also produce the annual Future of StoryTelling Summit, an exclusive, by-invitation-only gathering devoted to exploring the evolution of storytelling in the digital age.
About the Position
The Marketing and Communications Manager will work closely with the Director of Business Development and the senior leadership of the Future of StoryTelling (FoST) and Melcher Media to assist in implementing and leading all efforts pertaining to visibility, strategy, vision, and execution associated with the development of the community and the elevation of the FoST and Melcher Media brands. You will increase brand awareness and drive community engagement by cultivating an active, welcoming, and best-in-class experience for current and prospective members with the ultimate goal of strengthening their connection to both FoST and Melcher Media, thereby increasing their likelihood of participating, supporting, and sharing information about both brands. This will include growing and managing social media channels, executing email/direct mail marketing initiatives, developing brand campaigns, and supporting all efforts with paid media where applicable. In addition, you will focus on driving our communications strategy, media relations, press inquiries, and broadcast appearances. You will craft messages and narratives, secure successful interactions with press, and altogether raise the company profile. This is an exciting opportunity to help establish the official voices of both companies across platforms, create fresh and engaging content, and help broaden our audience and media presence, particularly for FoST. Responsibilities will include:
- Leading community initiatives designed to create connections among members, amplify member engagement, and drive overall audience;
- Understanding the FoST audience, community, and various stakeholders as well as broader industry trends to help identify and prioritize audience needs;
- Developing and executing social media strategies to engage the FoST audience on key topics that align with FoST services to achieve marketing goals;
- Building a monthly communications plan that is orchestrated across channels and supports key priorities for both companies;
- Helping to publicize FoST speaker films and place them with appropriate media outlets;
- Creating a communications strategy that specifically drives attendees to the FoST Summit and other events;
- Managing day-to-day activities for communication channels; publishing content and engaging with influencers and followers;
- Monitoring progress and effectiveness of marketing campaigns, community growth, and engagement through Google Analytics and other measurable metrics;
- Conducting ongoing analysis and reviews of competitors, influencers, and audience; and staying abreast of the latest marketing trends across industries to inform overall marketing strategies. The identities of both companies are forward thinking, and our own marketing approach needs to reflect that;
- Creating, Planning, and executing PR strategies that support the community of talent who participate at the FoST summit and other events throughout the year and enhance their visibility. These include speakers, workshop leaders, performers, and exhibitors;
- Partnering closely with FoST partners to co-create and deliver on campaigns to support sponsorships and collaborations, providing creative strategy, and ensuring seamless process of integrating partners into FoST assets and feeds;
- Collaborating with internal teams to develop a strategic messaging calendar, incorporating tent poles, roll-outs, and content strategy;
- Managing and directing all aspects of corporate communications and press inquiries;
- Being responsible for arranging media interviews (print, video, broadcast, and online) with executives and managing preparation and research, as well as conducting any necessary follow-up;
- Leveraging superior networking abilities to make sure FoST always has a seat at the right tables;
- Monitoring high-visibility and business-building awards programs and managing company entries if applicable;
- Handling crisis communications and managing issues, if required; and
- Reviewing websites regularly to ensure all content is on message and current.
You should aspire to be a leader in the company’s marketing and communications efforts; be able to think quickly on your feet; be interested in live events; be interested in and enthusiastic about new forms of storytelling, including VR/AR/MR, immersive theater, interactive gaming, etc.; feel comfortable in a highly collaborative, team-oriented culture; have 5+ years of experience with marketing and communications strategy and execution; have a sophisticated grasp of the evolving media and communications landscape; have exceptional writing skills and the ability to generate impactful content; have the ability to manage timelines and collaborate effectively to execute campaigns on time; and come with a thorough understanding of and experience using social media for professional marketing/communications purposes, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media platforms.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé explaining why you think you are a good fit for the position.