Managing Producer- Video
- Full Time
Video strategist and leader sought for smart, Southern-focused news brand
Reckon is the place where the South comes together to talk about problems and seek answers to some of the region’s toughest issues. Reckon is smart stories about the South, from the South. Reckon is a home for award-winning journalism, with Pulitzer Prize, IRE award and Emmy award winners on staff. But, that’s just part of our story. We’ve built an engaged, committed social community and grow and serve those new audiences through engagement, e-newsletters, podcasts, programmatic video and in-person events. In 2017, Reckon debuted “Chasing Corruption,” a video series on Facebook Watch that was recognized as Best in Show at the 2019 Global Media Awards.
Reckon is looking for someone to build on our momentum by devising strategy and leading Reckon video. The managing producer will be responsible for concepting and implementing a social video strategy that grows audience on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube for Reckon. They will lead a team of videographers, editors, and producers to create social videos that cuts through the noise and fulfills the mission of telling stories and breaking news that’s important to a Southern audience, from a Southern perspective. They must be able to adapt to an everchanging digital world and help others in our newsroom create strong, compelling videos.
We want our videos to stand out. As you can see from Chasing Corruption, we aim for a high standard of quality, and seek a strong dedicated social audience on all platforms. This position will be pivotal in creating tone for the brand. Think of Reckon as similar to Vox or Buzzfeed News, only focusing on the South.
- proven experience and understanding of how to create, find and optimize video for social media platforms (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and more)
- desire to be part of, spark and add to cultural conversations
- recognition and understanding of evolving online video tools and trends
- active social media presence
- self-starter and a multi-tasker
- ability to work individually and collaboratively
- strong shooting skills and visual thinker
- enthusiasm for and willingness to discover what the South has to offer
- leader who can delegate responsibilities to a team
- can help set a strategy and implement with a team
- can connect with the filmmaking community to help build freelance networks and recruit talent
- dedication to diversity in storytelling and thinking
- deep knowledge of the South, its people, culture and issues
- passionate and enthusiastic about social media and journalism
- ability to exercise sound news judgement
- Versed in Adobe Creative Suite programs (Premier, Photoshop, After Effects)
- Able to operate most cameras and an understanding of good cinematography and editing.
- Knowledgeable of livestreaming technology and able to implement strategy for livestreaming
For interested candidates please email Vice President of Content Kelly Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and links to work samples. We recommend you look through our content and to allow a portion of your cover letter speak to how you would like to help shape Reckon’s video strategy.
Reckon is a part of Alabama Media Group. This job is based in Birmingham, Alabama.
Alabama Media Group is a digitally-focused news and information company that combines quality journalism from The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times, Mobile's Press-Register and The Mississippi Press with the up-to-the-minute access of AL.com. Alabama Media Group provides innovative ways to inform, connect and empower the people of Alabama in the communities we serve.
Alabama Media Group is a part of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 24 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.