Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Springer Nature is seeking to appoint an Editorial Assistant to manage the processing of manuscripts from submission to acceptance as well as support the standardisation of workflows, improve efficiencies, data collection, and to support authors, editors, and reviewers. This Editorial Assistant will be responsible for supporting the Nature Communications journal, an open access, peer-reviewed journal publishing research, reviews and commentary in all the areas of the biological sciences. The journal sits within our open access business unit and follows the brand doctrine, workflow, systems and outreach of Nature Research.
This position is key to assisting the editors with manuscripts, and ensuring content is processed within suitable timeframes.
The ideal candidate will be able to prioritise their workload and work to tight deadlines but will also ensure that tasks are performed with speed and accuracy.
This is an administrative position which would be ideal for someone with some office experience wishing to start a career in a fast-paced publishing environment.
Excellent communication skills are key to this role – both written and verbal. Building key relationships with Editors and Chief Editors is essential for this role, as is working alongside other publishing departments including production and the wider Editorial Administration department. The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude to their work.
- Managing the flow of manuscripts from submission to acceptance through the manuscript tracking system (MTS) - performing quality checks on manuscripts and ensuring all legal forms are collected and stored.
- Providing MTS support for Authors, Reviewers and Editors - troubleshooting and assisting with system issues and escalating to the relevant teams if needed.
- Liaising with Authors, Reviewers and Editors via email and telephone – ensuring your manner is always polite, professional and helpful
- Maintaining correct information within the databases – updating person records within the MTS and ensuring manuscript information is correct
- Assisting with editorial reports
- Assisting with other ad hoc tasks associated with the editorial workflow of manuscripts
- Providing team cover during periods of absence
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Experience working in a fast-paced office environment is preferred
- Microsoft Office suite and database management experience
- Working within a team and meeting daily deadlines
To apply for the position, please submit a CV and a covering letter, including your salary expectations and notice period.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.