Photojournalist (Project Role)
- Full Time
This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
CNN, a Warner Media company is seeking to immediately hire Photojournalists with Director of Photography level experience in unscripted, documentary and long-form original photography and production. These Photojournalists will be responsible for shooting events and stories to the highest ethical, aesthetic and technical standards using the latest technology. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to direct lighting, set overall visual “look”, and related technical specifications for projects. Candidates must have exceptional knowledge and experience with Hi-definition, 4K, UHD and HDR photography, production and the related post-production and delivery workflows utilizing these formats and standards to document a wide array of stories and events. Candidates will also be capable of exhibiting strong editorial skills. All CNN photojournalists are expected to travel for CNN's production purposes. Candidates must possess valid US driver's license.
This project position is available through November 15, 2020 and will be based in CNN’s NY operations facilities. Alternate locations may be considered.
Applicants must provide a link to examples of their recent work.
- Production: Demonstrate advanced lighting and photography skills, set-ups and techniques including but not limited to hi-def, 4k UHD and HDR production and projects. Ensures that all pictures and sound are of highest quality and properly recorded. Able to gather quality pictures and sound as a one-person crew or as part of a team. Learning evolving technologies and concepts and adapting them to a variety of assignments.
- Logistics: Gather proper gear, set up logistics, travel and ship equipment, and get to the assignment with the proper equipment.
- Editing/Producing: Demonstrate competent editing skills. Use editorial, technical and production skills to produce content for delivery and presentation on all platforms. Conceptualize with producers to understand story concepts and provide important input/feedback to improve on those concepts.
- Paperwork: Responsible for accounting of all expenses on corporate credit cards and submitting them in a timely manner per company guidelines; substantiating these expenses is an important part of their jobs. Account for working hours via internal tracking and allocation applications. Keeps all relevant/necessary credentials current.
- Gear maintenance: Maintain all gear including crew vehicles, working with appropriate departments to keep all gear up to date and in working order. Able to trouble-shoot quickly and effectively.
- Scheduling: Photojournalists are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except on vacation).
- Travel: Photojournalists are expected to travel for production (hostile environments are optional)
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, TV production, or related field/s. In lieu of a degree, we would consider experience and on the job accomplishment.
- 5-Years Broadcast/digital/ENG production experience
- Experience as a director of photography
- Travel is required
- Competent NLE editing skills
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of CNN programming, production, process & newsgathering
- Experience working in war zones and austere environs
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.