Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
The Editorial Assistant reports to the Editorial Administration Manager. This role is located in our New York City location, downtown. The purpose of the role is to support authors, editors and reviewers, along with managing the processing of manuscripts through our tracking database, obtaining relevant rights and permissions and liaising with colleagues in other departments.
- Managing the flow of manuscripts from submission to acceptance through the manuscript tracking system (MTS) - performing quality checks on manuscripts and ensuring all legal forms are collected and stored.
- Providing MTS support for Authors, Reviewers and Editors - troubleshooting and assisting with system issues and escalating to the relevant teams if needed.
- Liaising with Authors, Reviewers and Editors via email and telephone – ensuring your manner is always polite, professional and helpful
- Maintaining correct information within the databases – updating person records within the MTS and manuscript information is correct
- Assisting with editorial reports
- Assisting with other ad hoc tasks associated with the editorial workflow of manuscripts
- Providing team cover during periods of absence
To build strong and effective working relationships with Chief
- Editors and Editors, Production Staff and other teams associated with the publication process
Qualifications and Skills/knowledge:
- Bachelor Degree preferred
- Ability to work to a specified list of priorities with speed and accuracy
- Flexibility and ability to work as a team member
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including accurate spelling and grammar
- Attention to detail
- Ability to follow instructions and adhere carefully to established procedures
- Ability to organize and juggle a varied workload under pressure and to work quickly and efficiently without constant supervision
- Capacity to make thoughtful decisions and use initiative
- Punctuality and reliability
- A positive attitude in the workplace and a willingness to co-operate with colleagues
- Experience working in a face-paced office environment is preferred
- Microsoft Office suite and database management
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.