Graphics Editor, Exchange
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal seeks an experienced Graphics Editor to join its visuals team to work with Exchange, the Journal’s business and finance features section. The editor will handle a wide range of high-impact visuals for feature stories, including cover stories, from reporters across the WSJ empire.
The Graphics Editor will join an award-winning team of journalists to drive innovative storytelling with graphics, design, interactives and multimedia across our platforms. Working with their supervisors, the Graphics Editor will make decisions and recommendations related to coverage priorities and assignments. The Graphics Editor will schedule and run regular brainstorming meetings with reporters and editors, and work closely with art directors and photo editors.
The Graphics Editor will review pitches and provide ideas, expertise and judgment around which visuals should be assigned for stories. The role also includes creating enterprise and breaking news graphics in other coverage areas as needed. The Graphics Editor will support senior editors in the department on broader leadership work, such as managing special projects or newsroom training.
- Create news graphics for print and digital on projects that range in scope.
- Schedule and run regular visual meetings to shape ideas into visual opportunities.
- Review visual pitches and using judgment and expertise decide which should become visual assignments.
- Work closely with supervisor and broader department to assign stories.
- Shape new workflows and processes in a fast-paced, global and cross-platform newsroom.
- Contribute to editing graphics.
- A minimum of three years of experience in a newsroom, ideally 4-6 years.
- Strong visual journalism skills with at least one or two specialties that might include design, coding, 3D, animation or data visualization.
- Expertise visualizing conceptual stories.
- Business and finance experience is a plus.
- A creative vision and willing to share and collaborate on new ideas.
- Good knowledge of data visualization techniques.
- Good knowledge of Adobe tools such as Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Experience with data journalism and associated tools, such as Excel and SQL.
- Ability to schedule and run effective meetings in person or remotely.
- Ability to prioritize best opportunities for visual stories using judgment based on newsroom and departmental strategy and resources.
- Good knowledge of responsive design and best practices for building stories for mobile devices.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Ability to train reporters and editors to learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 18078