Community & Social Media Manager
- Full Time
Let Grow is a nonprofit that promotes independence as a critical part of growing up. We believe that when children are treated as physically and emotionally fragile, we rob them of the experiences essential for their positive emotional development into adulthood. Through community-driven advocacy and education, we aim to make it normal again to let kids be kids.
Opportunity: Online Community Manager & Activator
Let Grow has a strong and growing online community of parents, teachers, psychologists, and other passionate advocates who believe in the importance of independent and resilient children, promoting social-emotional learning and executive function through unstructured/unsupervised activities and free play
We are seeking a passionate and creative individual to lead our online community engagement efforts. This role can be based in New York City, and we will consider qualified remote candidates based in the United States.
What we are looking for in a Community Manager & Activator:
- It should go without saying, but you should be passionate about the Let Grow mission. You believe that independence and resiliency are vital for emotional health. Our most passionate supporters are activists who are always ready to promote our mission. You will be responsible for fostering relationships that will turn supporters into activists. Through everyday online engagement, you will be instrumental in changing the behaviors that fuel the culture of overprotection.
- You are dynamic and always curious about what makes online communities tick. You have proven techniques and strategies for engaging our supporters at all levels and recruiting new ones. You believe a community manager plays one of the most crucial roles for an organization to understand its members. You know that capturing hearts and minds is the first step to inciting action.
- Your eyes and ears are tuned continuously into online conversations related to our mission. You can effectively adapt existing community building strategies and initiatives and generate new ones based on the conversations you listen to. You are skilled at seamlessly inserting our organizational voice into online conversations we should be a part of.
- You ensure that everyone in our community feels a sense of belonging and support. You are acutely aware that the topics related to our work affect parents and communities in different ways. With this in mind, you can communicate consistently with a voice and tone that’s empathetic, relatable, reasoned, inspired, and even provocative when appropriate.
- You can put out the occasional fire and mediate disagreements among the community with the understanding that people can embrace our overall mission but can and sometimes do disagree on specific approaches.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Embody Let Grow’s organizational voice, serving as the primary host of our online presence; manage our social media channel including our Facebook Page and Groups, Instagram, and Twitter. Make recommendations for adopting new online community tools and platforms.
- Listen and interact with our existing community and recruit new members; develop engaging daily content including questions, polls, visual content, and online events; collaborate with editorial and design resources to continually develop and tailor content for our diverse and growing audience.
- Develop and manage a content publishing calendar for our social media channels, blog, and email newsletters; develop monthly themes and engagement strategies that drive conversation around specific topics.
- Collect stories, experiences, photos, video, and other user-generated content from our community; work with the editorial and design resources to identify exemplary user content to showcase on our website or adapt to new content, such as member profiles, Instagram Stories, and more.
- Manage social media engagement data and analytics and use that information to help us inform Let Grow’s overall community and content strategy.
- Foster relationships with industry figures, including journalists and other subject matter experts and identify opportunities such as partnerships and guest-generated content for our social channels and website; curate content from sources that align with Let Grow’s mission.
Desired Experience & Skills
- You should have 3+ years managing online communities across multiple social and digital platforms and other digital outlets. Experience working in a high visibility media outlet focused on parenting content environment, or an advocacy-driven organization is highly desirable.
- You are a powerful writer and communicator who can ideate, develop, and collaborate on multiple types of engagement-driven initiatives for our audience.
- You have excellent project management and customer service skills.
- You are familiar and fluent with social media publishing tools such as Sprout Social or similar platforms, and other communications and productivity tools including Slack, Airtable, and Basecamp.
- You can successfully perform this role with a fair amount of autonomy, but you can also jump right into a brainstorming session and make positive contributions.
- You feel at home in a small, start-up like environments where everyone has multiple hats and looks good wearing them. You are comfortable and confident to lead without being asked.
- Basic to intermediate graphic design and HTML skills are a plus
In addition to your resumé, please include the following as part of your application:
- Our community is fueled by personal stories, so please provide a cover letter that tells us why you’re interested in contributing your talent to the Let Grow Mission.
- Examples of previous work or initiatives as a community or social media manager. This can include content, conversations you’ve started, community-centric campaigns you worked on, or anything that will get our attention and help us understand the contribution you can make.