Senior Writer, Executive Communications
- Full Time
Who we are:
The Association of American Medical Colleges is a not-for-profit association dedicated to transforming health care by supporting the entire spectrum of medical education, biomedical research, and patient care conducted by America’s medical schools and teaching hospitals. We are dedicated to the communities we serve and steadfast in our goal to improve the health of all. The AAMC strives to make a positive impact not only in your career, but in your life. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which features:
• Significant employer 403(b) contribution
• Public transportation subsidy
• Generous paid time off program and flexible work options
• Tuition reimbursement
• Wellness program that includes: discounted gym membership, onsite yoga and sponsored sports teams
Why us, why now?
As the senior writer supporting the new AAMC President and CEO, you will work closely and collaboratively with him as well as the Chief Communications and Marketing Officer and Office of the President on a variety of communications for external, member and internal audiences. This is an opportunity to work with one of the nation’s foremost leaders in higher education and health care and to contribute in a meaningful way to conversations about how to improve our nation’s health care system.
How will you make an impact?
You are a talented writer who knows how to craft messages and help a leader communicate effectively and persuasively in multiple formats – from talking points to opinion editorials, to blog and social media posts, to employee and member messages. You will interact with staff across the association in effort to develop a deep understanding of the AAMC’s issues and activities.
- Conduct research as needed and draft talking points for the AAMC president and CEO’s presentations and remarks for member and constituent audiences, AAMC employees, and meetings with external organizations.
- Provide assistance to Chief Communications and Marketing Officer with executive communications as needed.
- Attend speaking engagements as appropriate.
Writing and Digital Communications
- Write and provide editorial support for the president’s written and digital communications to external audiences and AAMC members and constituents, including presentations, perspective pieces, newsletter columns and blog posts, and video and podcast messages. Create new material linked to key messages on regular basis.
- Write and provide editorial support as needed for the president’s digital and written communications with AAMC staff, including weekly staff newsletter messages, videos, town hall meetings, and other projects as needed.
- Work with the AAMC social media team to develop social media posts.
- As needed, provide research, writing and editorial support for the president’s external communications not supported by the AAMC’s outside writing firm. These could include columns, blog posts, opinion editorials, journal articles, and book chapters/reviews, etc.
- Learn and stay abreast of key issues and AAMC messages; build in-depth knowledge of a wide variety of issues covered by the president, and strong relationships with key internal staff resources.
What will you bring to the role?
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, political science/public policy, or related field. Graduate degree in health policy or related area a plus.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in writing/communications for an academic or mission-based medical, higher education, health care, or related association leader. Prior experience in executive communications highly desired.
- Outstanding writing, editorial, research, and communication skills, including ability to interact with internal and external experts on a range of policy and messaging issues.
- Prior experience on health care issues preferred.
- Ability to process information on complex subjects and synthesize into clear text for both written and verbal delivery.
- Ability to write in a mature, sophisticated voice, and to assimilate the tone of another person.