Senior Director, Digital Communications
- Full Time
Who we are:
The Association of American Medical Colleges is a not-for-profit association dedicated to transforming health care by supporting the entire spectrum of medical education, medical research, and patient care conducted by our member institutions. We are dedicated to the communities we serve and steadfast in our goal to improve the health of all. The AAMC strives to make a positive impact not only in your career, but in your life. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which features:
• Significant employer 403(b) contribution
• Public transportation subsidy
• Generous paid time off program
• Tuition reimbursement
• Wellness program that includes: discounted gym membership, onsite yoga and sponsored sports teams
Why us, why now?
As the Senior Director, Digital Communications, you will be responsible for the development and implementation of the AAMC’s overall digital communications vision, strategy and deliverables. You will lead the association’s Digital Communications team, which includes responsibility for the association’s digital strategy, Web site, user experience, digital content strategy, Web content, content management system, social media and other digital engagement platforms, training, video, podcasts, and other digital media. You will assume strategic and operational oversight of all digital communications activities, lead strategic vision for the association’s digital strategy, and provide guidance to staff teams engaged in web transformation. As the Senior Director, you will consult other AAMC work units on how digital assets, trends, and opportunities affect and can be used to leverage business strategies.
How will you make an impact?
- Develop and oversee an integrated digital communications strategy for the AAMC and annual work unit plan
- Prioritize and align the association’s digital strategy with AAMC strategic goals
- Regularly evaluate internal and external digital asset capabilities, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Establish and lead internal, cross-cluster teams as needed
- Implement the association’s overall digital roadmap; oversee execution of specific digital strategic plans
- Establish and meet association goals, team goals, and individual goals
- Develop and oversee governance, standards, and metrics for digital work, Including UX, social media, mobile, CMS platform, video, web and interactive content.
- Oversee UX, Digital Content (e.g., web and content strategy), digital engagement, and relevant operations teams, supporting and directing work of project managers and others. Evaluate business case for projects or unit needs
- Identify and implement ways to transform AAMC communications to more effective digital formats (e.g., shifting from print publications to interactive digital publications)
- Serve as a member of the Communications Leadership Team. Apprise Communications and Marketing team overall of best practices in digital communications for internal and external audiences. Design and deliver presentations and/or workshops to all levels of the association, constituents and/or members.
- Maintain and foster active, productive working relationships with clients (especially IT and Services), as well as colleagues in Communications and Marketing
- Lead, motivate and evaluate team performance and individual staff members by establishing goals, monitoring and evaluating performance of direct reports and team, and encouraging innovation and open discussion among teams
What will you bring to the role?
- At least 12 years of relevant experience in digital communications, along with a minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in Communications, Computer Science, Psychology, Digital Marketing, Business Administration or Management. Master's degree preferred.
- Expert ability in the design and execution of digital strategies and initiatives, ideally in an information-intensive organization.
- Advanced understanding of digital media and interactive platforms associated with business models.
- Experience leading a digital transformation for a large organization.
- Understanding of web/online communications strategy and the latest technologies to enhance the profile and work of the AAMC.
- Ability to optimize and integrate web, mobile, social, video, and search mediums to provide the most effective customer experience and information gathering.
- Basic knowledge of metric driven programs.
- Demonstrated experience as a team leader and strategist.
- Strong budget preparation and management skills and experience preferred.
- Ability to lead and execute multiple high-priority projects with keen attention to detail.
- Strong persuasion and consensus-building skills – ability to influence business strategy cross-functionally at all organizational levels.
If a bachelor’s degree is required, related work experience may be substituted in some positions. One year of college course work at an accredited institution is equivalent to one year of related work experience.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.