PLEASE NOTE: This is a project / limited term position with an estimated duration of up to 12 months, unless otherwise amended or terminated as deliverables within this project are completed.
Reporting to the Senior Editor, the Freelance Content Miner will help find, publish and promote compelling content that successfully develops NBC Sports Washington’s digital platforms. This position will be responsible for using creative and innovative methods to tell stories through a wide range of tools on NBC Sports Washington’s website, app and social media accounts. The Content Miner will assist on and occasionally lead day-to-day editorial maintenance of those platforms and work with partners on content distribution.
Responsibilities:Create timely, relevant written content on an aggressive news desk by monitoring news sources and identifying stories, writing enticing headlines, selecting proper complementary content such as photos and video, and crafting social media messaging that draws traffic and followersCoordinate with the Senior Editor, NBC Sports Washington colleagues and the NBC Sports digital team on best practices for the display and distribution of contentParticipate in developing, implementing and maintaining an efficient workflow in a fast-paced content operationWork with internal and external distribution partners to maximize the reach of NBC Sports Washington contentEdit content from NBC Sports Washington content miners and team insiders to ensure a consistent and appropriate voice, tone and appearance that speaks with our fans.Ensure all content, regardless of platform, meets NBC Sports Washington’s standards for journalistic integrity and production qualityProperly prioritize production of content and ensure all has a consistent "feel," and is engaging, accurate, informative and current on all platformsWork with programming and production colleagues to execute editorial strategies and packages Basic Qualifications:
- BA/BS in Communications, Journalism or a related field
- Proven writing and editing skills, in terms of quality and proficiency, with a strong knowledge of AP style and SEO. Experience producing content in fast-paced news environments a plus.
- Excellent news judgment and ability to think quickly and act appropriately under high pressure
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of social media tools, including but not limited to Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Experience effectively working with corporate accounts a plus.
- Must be a self-starter who can work independently with minimal supervision but also is able to work effectively within a team environment
- Strong knowledge of Washington, DC teams and general sports, and what content drives fan interest
- Basic understanding of HTML and web video editing tools
- Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be detail-oriented and organized, and have a proven track record in multitasking effectively
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in Washington, DC metropolitan area
- Must be willing to work flexible hours including evenings, early mornings, weekends and holidays when necessary
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks.
NBC Sports Group serves sports fans 24/7 with premier live events, insightful studio shows, and compelling original programming. The sports media company consists of NBC Sports, NBC Olympics, NBCSN, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, NBC Sports Regional Networks, NBC Sports Radio and NBC Sports Digital, which includes NBCSports.com, NBCOlympics.com, GolfChannel.com, the digital assets of the NBC Sports Regional Networks, Rotoworld, the NBC Sports Talk franchise, multiple apps, and two transactional sports businesses, GolfNow and SportsEngine. NBC Sports Group possesses an unparalleled collection of television rights agreements, partnering with some of the most prestigious sports properties in the world: the International Olympic Committee and United States Olympic Committee, the NFL, NHL, NASCAR, INDYCAR, PGA TOUR, The R&A, PGA of America, Churchill Downs, Premier League, Tour de France, French Open, and many more.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.