Graphics & Data Editor, RFE/RL’s Central Newsroom in Prague
- Full Time
Graphics & Data Editor, RFE/RL’s Central Newsroom
We’re looking for a dynamic editor to head our Graphics and Data Team in Prague and take us to the next level in visual story-telling.
This is a wide-ranging role where you’ll be creating visual content, as well as supervising the work of others, and coming up with creative new ways of telling stories from our region. You’ll lead a small, dedicated team of visual journalists and report to the director of RFE/RL’s English-language Central Newsroom.
Some things you’ll do in this role:
- Commission short and long-term visual stories, ranging from daily graphics such as charts and maps, to animated video explainers and interactives.
- Supervise and edit the work of your team, maintaining a rigorous attention to visual (and editorial) details.
- Develop visual standards and templates that your team can use.
- Pitch original project ideas, as well as work with our writers, reporters, and services on collaborative stories.
- Work closely with the newsroom’s Web & Social Media team in promoting our content.
- Experiment with visual storytelling methods and use analytics to inform decisions.
Here’s a sample of some of our team’s work:
- Footsteps Of A Revolution
- Caught Up In A Revolution
- Russian Arms Deals
- Cosmonaut Without A Country
What we’re looking for in you:
- You must have a extensive portfolio of visual content that you have authored. The substance of this should be based on your area of focus (e.g. – interactive stories, animated videos, data visualizations).
- At least 5 years’ experience, including in a newsroom setting.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g.- graphic design, journalism, international relations).
- Team leadership and mentorship experience. The rest of your team will be learning from you.
- Competence/expertise in one or more of the following:
- Web development in a newsroom environment (e.g. – HTML, CSS, JS proficiency, as well as related libraries/frameworks such as D3, React/Vue)
- Data visualization experience: creating and analyzing original data sets using R/Pandas, and visualizing them in unique ways using libraries such as D3.
- Cartography: creating maps from scratch using tools such as QGIS or ArcGIS.
- Video editing and motion graphics: you’re proficient with tools such as After Effects and Premiere, and you’re able to create stunning animated content.
- English language Native (Mandatory)
- Broadcast region language, working knowledge (Desirable)
This position, like the rest of your team, is a part of our Central Newsroom, where we cover a unique region spanning the former Soviet Union to Central Asia and Pakistan. As such, editorial experience with our region is a big plus. However, don’t hesitate to apply if you think you have other experience that you think would be an asset for the team.
This position is based at RFE/RL Headquarters in Prague, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. We offer a competitive salary, a chance to work in a multinational environment in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, and a benefits package that includes relocation, paid housing, medical coverage, an attractive retirement savings package, home leave benefits for expatriates, visa support, and tuition for dependent children.
Interested? Send your CV along with portfolio samples and a cover letter in English through our apply page.
With hundreds of journalists in Prague and in bureaus across Eastern Europe, Central Asia, the Caucasus, South Asia, and the Middle East, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) makes a difference in places where free media is under pressure or doesn’t exist. www.rferl.org