- Full Time
W. W. Norton is seeking an inquisitive, proactive, and detail-oriented Business Analyst to add to its growing team. Unique among publishers, Norton “grows readers for life,” from preschool through middle school, high school, college, and beyond. While known for being the nation’s largest independent, employee-owned book publishing firm, W. W. Norton also has a growing list of digital applications that serve students, instructors, and general readers. The Business Analyst will join a co-located team of New York-based project managers, business analysts, UX designers, engineers, and QA analysts to create exceptional products for Norton’s customers.
The Business Analyst will work within the Digital Product team. The Product Team is responsible for creating, defining, and driving the execution of product features, working with the cross-functional team. The Business Analyst will collect, refine, and document requirements in accordance with project or product needs. This position reports to the Director of Project Management and is based out of our New York office.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Gather, analyze, and define stakeholder requirements.
- Elicit functional requirements from cross-functional stakeholders (across marketing, sales and editorial within each publishing group) throughout the project lifecycle.
- Act as liaison between stakeholders, the development team, the design team, and the QA team.
- Communicate requirements to development teams, track follow-through, and maintain projects throughout the SDLC.
- Translate business objectives into functional requirements.
- Collaborate and communicate with stakeholders, engineers, QA analysts and designers.
- Refine user stories created by Product Managers and stakeholders and create new user stories (as necessary).
- Create acceptance criteria for user stories to define features and expectations for deliverables.
- Support the Project Manager and Product Manager in maintaining and refining the product backlog.
- Interact with the Project Manager in planning and scoping requirements.
- Review UI spec and complete gap analysis.
- Work with Quality Assurance team to review test cases to validate enhancements, updates or bug fixes.
- Member of the scrum team and point of contact for requirements questions in the course of an active sprint.
- Participate and prepare for backlog grooming and sprint planning sessions.
- Responsible for maintaining internal documentation to define business rules.
- Perform system analysis and maintain technical knowledge.
- Act as product expert.
- Provide recommendations and analyses to Product Manager, Project Manager and Director of Project Management.
- Work closely with the entire product management team in the efforts to document, train, and support internal and external users of digitial products.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in assessing customer needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to understand and communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Organized with strong multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience with or knowledge of agile development methodology.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to organize and work under strict timelines while producing quality deliverables.
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies and programs.
- Knowledge of the publishing industry and the educational technology market (preferable).
- Bachelor's degree.
- Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the U.S. is required.
- Must be able to work full business hours from Norton’s New York City headquarters.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.