Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
The Tax Accountant ensures the timely preparation of various U.S./Canadian state and local tax returns, and state annual reports for all assigned entities/regions. He/she determines tax liability by interpreting tax regulations, computing taxes, and completing tax returns. Provides support to the Tax Manager as needed.
- Register and file in all necessary states/regions
- Prepare/review and remit sales and use tax for assigned entities/regions via Vertex and ensure compliance
- Responsible for proper maintenance of customer exemption certificates
- Review/reconcile general ledger sales tax liability for assigned accounts and prepare journal entries for monthly close
- Perform timely and accurate preparation with supporting documentation, filing, and payment of state unclaimed property amounts
- Assist the Tax Manager with ensuring that all products are properly coded, and mapped to Vertex sales tax system
- May assist with preparation/review of UK VAT return for digital services sold to EU member states
- Assist the Tax Manager as needed to determine product taxability mapping and direct the set-up of new entities in Vertex.
- Provide ad hoc support to the Tax Manager to research and resolve tax questions/issues received from Sales, Fulfillment,
- Customer Service and Collections
- Assist the Tax Manager with the filing of annual Forms 1099 and 1042 for all entities
- Address AP and Royalties vendor issues relating to Forms 1099 and 1042
- Participate in various projects as needed
- Any other duties that can reasonably be expected of you
Skills, experience, and qualifications:
- BS degree with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience filing US sales/use tax returns
- Proficiency in MS Excel
- Must have good analytical skills, be detail oriented and have good communication skills
- SAP and Vertex knowledge is a big plus
If you are an internal applicant please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.