Public Relations Specialist
- Full Time
The American Nurses Association (ANA) is the premier organization representing the interests of the nation's 4 million registered nurses. ANA advances the nursing profession by fostering high standards of nursing practice, promoting a safe and ethical work environment, bolstering the health and wellness of nurses, and advocating on health care issues that affect nurses and the public. ANA is at the forefront of improving the quality of health care for all.
The public relations specialist implements and evaluates integrated communications campaigns targeted to a range of stakeholders and key audiences. S/he is responsible for proactive and reactive media relations activities and produces a wide range of communications for internal and external audiences on time-sensitive topics. S/he maintains a comprehensive understanding of ANA Enterprise policy, issues and programs and keeps informed of external news and trends relevant to ANA Enterprise organizations to promote such efforts and respond effectively.
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION: Apply online at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=8aa77bca-e0ae-4e12-a8d6-b79f70f2dd72&ccId=19000101_000001&type=JS&lang=en_US or email your resume to email@example.com
· Proactive and Reactive Media Relations: Proactively pitch reporters to secure coverage for ANA Enterprise (ANA, American Nurses Foundation and American Nurses Credentialing Center) and interview opportunities for subject matter experts and spokespeople. Develop media materials, support and prepare subject matter experts for media opportunities, recommend topics for content development and propose strategies to increase visibility on key issues while balancing multiple priorities. Develop and maintain media lists as well as build relationships with reporters.
· Content Development and Execution: Write, edit and proofread a wide range of materials including news releases, press statements, website copy, promotional items, op-eds and bylines to articulate programs, policies, positions, activities, products and services of the association. Work with subject matter experts to craft key messages, talking points, calls-to-actions and other content and image elements. Write content for e-newsletters, social media, brochures, scripts website content and other channels and materials as needed.
· Communications Planning and Coordination: Participate in team discussions to provide public relations/media strategy advice for campaigns and issues. Contribute to the creation of communications plans, earned media strategies, association initiatives and special projects. Implement integrated communications plans for campaigns and issues. Complete special projects as assigned.
· Analytics and Measurement: Evaluate outcomes and recommend adjustments and new techniques based on industry trends and insights. Assess the effectiveness of communications materials, strategies, tactics and campaigns and recommends modifications to achieve goals. Research, compile and analyze media coverage in the form of monthly reports. Create media audits to understand the national conversation and coverage on pressing issues/topics.
· Digital Materials and Production: Assist with the production and distribution of digital assets, such as website, video and social media as part of integrated communications campaigns and initiatives.
· Spokesperson Role and Duties: Act as a spokesperson for the association with representatives from internal and external public, especially the media, as appropriate.
· Coalition and Alliance Participation: Participate on external/internal coalitions and committees as requested by director. Coordinate staff input on public relations and media activities conducted by external coalitions, as directed.
· Special Projects: Support special projects as assigned.
Baccalaureate in journalism, communications or public relations required; Extensive course work and/or post-graduate degree in one of the following areas desirable: journalism, health services, and/or public health.
Related Work Experience
Must have 4 years of relevant full-time experience in public relations and/or journalism. S/he should understand basic public relations tools and usage and possess solid research, writing and editing skills. S/he must be able to develop relationships with media.
· Proficiency with basic public relations tools and usage
· Demonstrated competency in written, verbal, and analytical skills
· Knack for proactively developing relationships with media and reporters
· Possess ability to relate easily to diverse individuals and groups
· Prioritize and coordinate multiple projects, assignments, and deadlines
· Able to act independently, exercise good judgment/decision-making to provide solutions
· Accustomed to fast pace, ever-changing work environment
Discretion, tact and ability to function as part of a team. Flexibility in work schedule required to accommodate occasional evening or weekend meetings and periodic travel. Articulate, creative self-starter; detailed-oriented; professional with sensitivity to organizational protocols.
Special Notes/Instructions FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION: Apply online at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=8aa77bca-e0ae-4e12-a8d6-b79f70f2dd72&ccId=19000101_000001&type=JS&lang=en_US or email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org