Digital Content Specialist
- Full Time
Skillcrush is on the hunt for a Digital Content Specialist to join our team! This is a full-time, mid-career role for someone with excellent writing skills, experience writing about technology, and the ability to spot trends in audience data and plan content around trending topics.
As the Digital Content Specialist on our marketing team, you’ll spend most of your time pitching, researching, and writing articles for the Skillcrush blog. In addition to these responsibilities, you’ll be creating content for social media, newsletters, webinars, videos, etc. Plus you’ll work with the team to track and help develop site traffic and contribute ideas and content for other marketing campaigns.
The ideal candidate for the Digital Content Specialist role should have experience with both SEO strategy and SEO writing. You also excel at researching strategic article topics and related keywords, conducting research and interviews, and writing and editing copy specifically for the web. You should be a self-starter who can take projects and run with them—but you also know when to ask for help or feedback, and you respect a good edit.
Possessing tech skills (coding, visual design, or UX/UI, for example) is a bonus, as is experience with email marketing.
Kit Warchol, Head of Content Marketing
- Own the editorial calendar
- Research and pitch article ideas in editorial meetings
- Write, according to Skillcrush voice and tone guidelines, at least three SEO-optimized and/or interview-based feature articles per week—including a mix of longer features and shorter action-oriented roundups
- Edit and improve articles from our archive to increase search rankings
- Self-edit posts before submitting to Head of Content Marketing
- Upload and format content in WordPress, coordinate with team designer on custom graphics, and schedule posts
- Oversee weekly newsletters, including selecting articles to promote, writing email copy, and planning and conducting AB tests to increase open rates and CTRs
- Write e-guides, webinar and video scripts, and other non-editorial content, as needed
- Work with the Head of Content Marketing on content strategy, including pitching ideas for marketing spikes and other quarterly content campaigns
- Report on and deliver recommendations for improving site traffic, specifically high-quality organic traffic
- Keep updated on tech news and trends and follow cultural movements and news relevant to our audience
- Background in writing and editing, specifically for the web or other digital platforms
- Experience with SEO strategy and SEO writing, including working with one or more SEO tools (ahrefs, SEMRush, Moz, etc.)
- Experience working with a content management system like WordPress, and enough familiarity with HTML and CSS that when article formatting breaks, you’ve got it covered!
- Experience with email copywriting, copyediting, and general email marketing best practices
- A live or die by the numbers mentality (You love user interviews, planning content based on traffic numbers and reader engagement, etc., and the thrill of recognizing patterns and trends they can leverage to improve site traffic.)
- General knowledge of Google Sheets/Excel in order to report on site traffic and manage the editorial calendar
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while contributing to a positive and supportive culture
- Availability to work a flexible range of hours that generally overlaps with standard business hours (9am-5pm) on US Eastern Time
- Access to a reliable, high-speed Internet connection
- Tech skills, such as coding, visual design, UX/UI, etc.
- Experience working with email marketing and platforms, ideally HubSpot
- Experience working on an Agile or scrum team
- Experience working remotely with team members in different time zones
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible, remote work
- Three weeks of paid vacation
- Competitive healthcare benefits, including fully covered insurance for you and subsidized insurance for your family
- Eight weeks of paid leave for new parents, and an additional eight weeks unpaid
- 401k plan with 4% match and no vesting time
- Professional development stipend
- Co-working stipend
- Free access to all the Skillcrush classes you can eat
- A fun, passionate team working from all over the world
- A fast-growing company with lots of opportunities for job growth
$60-70k, commensurate with skills and experience
Skillcrush is an online tech education company that offers online classes on a variety of technical topics.
At Skillcrush, we have built an open and cooperative environment. We hire who we want to work with, but also love people think differently than us and challenge the status quo. We empower our staff, giving them the support and autonomy they need to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We do what we do well, but we're also always looking to do it better.
Skillcrush is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of their age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin (or current home base), sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, family status, time zone, geography, musical preferences, or college football allegiances. We think a diverse team builds a better product,a better company, and ultimately, a better world!
Although based in New York City, the Skillcrush team is a fully remote company and welcomes job applicants from all over the world.
How to Apply
We want to make sure your application gets the consideration it deserves. This means we can only accept your application via https://skillcrush.breezy.hr/p/3b7d600a7464-digital-content-specialist. Please do not send your application materials or follow-ups to Skillcrush employees via email or social media.
And don't worry— We’ll respond to every application we get via this form. So you’ll hear from us about the position either way once we've reviewed your application.