Scientific American, the longest continuously published magazine in the U.S., has been bringing its readers unique insights about developments in science and technology since 1845. Scientific American has 3.5 million print and tablet readers worldwide, more than 7.5 million visitors on ScientificAmerican.com, and appears in 13 translated editions, which are read in more than 30 countries.
We are looking for a Web Developer with at least 4 years of experience to build, maintain, and expand digital products for Scientific American. This role reports into the Development Team Lead, working across product, UX, and design teams to deliver functioning solutions that are maintainable, testable, user-focused, and meet the objectives of the business.
The ideal candidate will have experience in building large-scale, consumer-oriented websites with a focus on ecommerce and performance.
Results-driven and well-versed in open-source solutions and cloud concepts, this role will help support the entire lifecycle of development from concept and design to operations, testing, and deployment.
- Providing and supporting technical leadership within the team.
- Consistently delivering to challenging business objectives.
- Demonstrating strong problem-solving skills.
- Help the team define and adhere to standard best practices.
- Utilizing agile software development practices: TDD, Continuous Integration and Delivery.
- Maintain site updates, fixing and troubleshooting bugs, and improving performance.
- Working with Product Managers to define project timelines and deliverables.
- Ability to write code across the full stack - front end Web UI, middle tier service layer, and backend database.
- Participate in code reviews.
- Additional duties as needed
Experience, education, skills and qualifications required:
- Strong knowledge of API development and Service Oriented Architectures: Microservices, RESTful.
- Solid experience with relational databases like MySQL
- Proficient knowledge of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Strong experience with AWS and docker.
- Expertise with all aspects of the software development lifecycle, from discovery phase to delivery.
- Solid experience working on custom enterprise applications.
- Have successfully applied agile and scrum practices and introduced agile techniques.
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills, good verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with Mura CMS, Slatwall E-Commerce and
- ColdFusion is a huge plus.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.