We are seeking a Senior Publicist to join the Dutton and Plume Publicity team. Dutton specializes in highly successful fiction franchise authors and bestselling nonfiction authors in a diverse array of topics, including history, politics, science, newsmakers, and celebrities. Plume specializes in gift and lifestyle books with bold takes on pop culture and feminism.
This role will spearhead publicity campaigns for a variety of fiction and nonfiction titles, in addition to providing input on publicity strategy across both imprints. This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with authors and the in-house publishing team on all aspects of publicity.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Plans and executes publicity campaigns that will maximize exposure for authors and their books and manages the campaign budget.
* Pitches and secures top national and regional TV, print, radio, and online media.
* Develops and maintains close working relationships with members of the press and seeks out new media outlets.
* Executes successful multi-city author tours, including independently overseeing travel arrangements, confirming bookstore events, pitching local media and managing comprehensive tour schedules.
* Writes pitch letters, press releases, and other creative press material.
* Works closely with the publicity team as well as authors, agents, booksellers and key in-house departments including editorial, marketing, sales and subsidiary rights.
* Works closely with authors on all aspects of publicity, including briefing authors on how to handle interviews and accompanying authors to publicity engagements.
* Performs general department responsibilities and represents the imprints at various meetings, functions, and industry events.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* At least 4 years of experience in book publishing publicity or related media
* Experience in both fiction and nonfiction preferred
* Established national and regional media contacts including TV, radio, print and online
* Established relationships with bookstores and some large lecture venues
* Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Strong public presentation skills
* Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
* Must be a creative and strategic thinker, as well as assertive and persuasive
* Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.