Newspaper Marketing Manager
- Full Time
Has authority or responsibility over staff employees on a regular basis but is not a direct supervisor. May assign, schedule and monitor the work of staff. (usually Lead level)
Position Summary and Primary Responsibilities
This position drives subscription-based revenue across platforms through subscriber acquisition, retention and rate growth by implementing strategies and tactics with strong return-on-investment. Coordinates newspaper-wide opportunities using a combination of opportunistic tactics and planned projects. Key responsibilities include staying abreast with industry sales developments, implementing new sales and retention techniques and channels, developing and executing on quarterly marketing opportunities in coordination with marketing, content, digital, research and advertising departments.
Job Duties and Job TasksPlease List 5-10 & give percentages of time spent on each. The job duties need to total 100%. For each job duty, please list 3-5 tasks.
70% Implement strategies to retain and increase the number of subscribers. This would include successful subscriber renewals and new-subscriber acquisition initiatives
• Consider the best opportunities to focus resources along each stage of the customer funnel, including building awareness, engagement, new customer acquisition, retention, building perceived consumer value, lead generation, conversion, and loyalty/advocacy for each audience group.
• Collaborate with key stakeholders across marketing, content, digital, research and advertising to coordinate and execute key growth initiatives.
• Develop and share quarterly project calendar to help focus resources on the biggest opportunities
• Project manage key marketing program initiatives: lead ongoing status meetings with internal partners to ensure all parties are in sync with and accountable for their deliverables to support the newspaper’s integrated marketing initiatives. Track assigned roles and responsibilities, manage deadlines, secure necessary executive approvals and track and report on results.
• Conduct formal project review with stakeholders to expand, improve or curtail programs based on ROI results
• Some of these projects may result in new sales channels which will be formalized and transitioned to the Audience sales managers
30% Utilizing an entrepreneurial approach, deliver new newspaper focused revenue growth initiatives with strong ROI results.
• Capitalize on unexpected opportunities as they arise:
• Look for, identify, and gain approval to pursue profitable business opportunities
• Many of these opportunities will require minimal resources, but when significant resources are required, this position will work with stakeholders to shift resources from current projects based on improving the short-term and long-term bottom line results.
• Stay abreast of business, industry and marketing information that may reveal business opportunities.Qualifications:
- Experience working in a highly cross-functional role with many
dynamic teams (Sales, Marketing, Business Development, Product, Product
Marketing, Operations, and senior executives)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability
to clearly present ideas, updates, and results to business partners on various
- Understanding of social media and digital marketing best practices
- Media/publishing industry experience a plus
- This person should excel at project management and
collaborating across teams to execute launches, drive deadlines cross
functionally, and measure performance
- A strong entrepreneurial orientation with demonstrated ability to
look for and seize profitable business opportunities; willingness to take
calculated risks to achieve business goals.
- Interface Requirements
should be adept at communicating with employees at all levels within CMG
including front line employees, managers, and senior executives as well as
work may be required in either an industrial environment including noise, ink
and heavy machinery or warehouse-like locations.
travel is required.
- Out of
town travel is required a minimum of the time. Travel may include domestic and
demands and essential physical abilities includes: a combination of physical work (standing,
walking, lifting and carrying items such as laptop computers, pulling file
demands includes: document review and computer use, including ability to
manipulate fingers to operate computer keyboard and mouse.
to work under deadline constraints and meet precise deadlines (including
interruptions and unforeseen assignments are to be expected.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.