- Full Time
HerMoney Media — the exciting new hub for all things women and money — is looking for an ambitious reporter/writer with a passion for personal finance and talent for service journalism to join Jean Chatzky, financial expert and Financial Editor of NBC Today and our talented team in our NYC office. The ideal candidate doesn’t need an MBA or experience on a trading desk but rather an interest in diving into the many ways money impacts our lives. You must be able to create surprising, exciting content including features, breaking news, clickable headlines, newsletter blurbs, Tweets and more, all of which will engage and inform our busy readers.
Successful candidates will have at least two years of personal finance reporting experience, along with a proven ability to find and cultivate quality sources. Our ideal hire will be able to understand complicated financial topics (think taxes, refinancing, the Fed rate cut, etc.) and turn that information into accessible, easy-to-consume stories that will keep our readers informed in a way that lets them know we’ve got their backs. You should also be an idea generator, a strong collaborator, a stickler for accuracy, and never (ever) miss a deadline. Bonus points if you can create content from raw data, have a good eye for selecting visuals, and can augment your reporting with the occasional iphone video.
Because this position involves daily reporting, you should be polished and professional when it comes to email and phone skills, and overall be an energetic and clear communicator. We are a small but mighty team, and we take pride in representing our brand at events around the city, so you should come equipped with a firm handshake, good eye contact, and the ability to engage with others on behalf of HerMoney.
Additionally, you should have stellar organization skills, be highly attuned to detail, and have the ability to transition easily from one project to the next. Because we are a start-up, we abide by the “all hands on deck” and “no job too small” philosophies, so our perfect candidate has an entrepreneurial mindset, and will be willing to jump in and handle several projects simultaneously.
Above all, we’re looking to hire an excellent writer. Your words are tight, clever and clear, you read as much news as you can get your hands on, and you thrive on the camaraderie and pace of a well-run (albeit small) newsroom. When we read your prose, you’ll simultaneously make us laugh and inspire us to wonder, “Why did I never think about it that way before?”
What We Need From You:
- At least two years’ of personal finance reporting experience
- Excellent writing skills, and the ability to write stories that can inform and delight our audience, while keeping with the judgement-free HerMoney voice and tone
- A source list you’ve cultivated for a couple of years and are proud of
- Ability to get people on the phone for interviews on a daily basis
- Ability to distill and explain complex financial topics
- Ability to write 4-5 stories per week
- An eye for the kind of content and headlines that will perform well across all channels
- Ability to deliver clean copy under daily deadline pressure
- Experience jumping on and writing breaking news
- Willingness to jump in and do “whatever it takes” to help the team meet a deadline or reach our next goal
- A positive attitude and genuine belief in the HerMoney mission — to help change our relationships with money, one woman at a time.
About the company:
HerMoney Media is a digital media company focused on personal finance, specifically for women. Our mission is to level the playing field for financial security, confidence and power for women with content that is welcoming, thought-provoking, bold, unbiased and always smart. We deliver the curated information women need to manage our money so we can focus on our lives. HerMoney Media is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or physical or mental disability.
What You’ll Get From Us:
- Competitive salary
- Health Benefits
- Fun and collegial atmosphere
- Team happy hours and outings
- Fun WeWork space in Times Square, with roof deck, free breakfast every Monday morning, and free beer on tap starting every day at 4pm
If you’d like to be considered for the position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and at least three writing samples showing off your personal finance writing chops. Within the body of your cover letter, tell us about the one financial move you’ve made in your life that you’re most proud of.