Associate Audience Engagement Editor
5 days left
- Full Time
We’re looking for a highly creative and spirited engagement editor to join the New Food Economy’s award-winning nonprofit newsroom. You’re a bold thinker who’s willing to do whatever it takes to connect with readers—finding new, innovative ways to promote our award-winning content, while engaging in dialogue on Twitter and beyond. The right candidate will be a born storyteller with well-honed journalistic instincts, who understands how to balance thoughtful, well-crafted reporting with the needs of a fast-paced digital newsroom.
This is a huge opportunity for the right fit: You’ll be working with our creative agency to help launch and promote a newly redesigned brand and website (Fall 2019), while establishing best practices for the future. We are a dynamic team in the midst of a key expansion; for the launch and beyond, we’re looking for a strategic player ready to grow as we do.
We’re looking for someone with razor-sharp storytelling instincts who’s comfortable crafting engaging narratives across a variety of formats, using the native strengths of each platform to help drive engagement. Your job duties are not static; one day you may be helping promote an NFE panel discussion on the future of meat, while the next you’re coming up with a savvy contest that engages readers in new ways. We’ll also want you to use analytics to help guide coverage, looking for key opportunities to grow our audience and expand our reach.
You’ll have a mind for strategy, and will work closely with our editorial producer to refine, grow, and manage our newsletter, while producing voicey, on-brand copy for events, social, donor campaigns, and series.
Applications will be accepted until midnight on Friday, September 20, 2019. Send a short cover letter, CV, and any writing or work samples. In the subject line, indicate the position you’re interested in.
- With editorial team, work to package and promote a broad range of New Food Economy content, including features, series, breaking news, special projects, and events.
- Write and schedule content for all social channels (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) using both native platform publishing as well as third-party tools like Sprout.
- Report and track growth using metrics from social media, newsletter dashboards, Apple News, and Google Analytics, using insights to identify new opportunities for growth.
- With edit team, create and implement strategies to grow newsletter subscriptions and increase engagement.
- With editors, develop original stories for website and social with audience engagement in mind.
- Monitor digital/social pages of market competition.
- Provide coaching to staff about best practices on digital/social platforms.
- Assist with the rollout and promotion of The New Food Economy’s brand redesign and website relaunch (fall 2019).
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- At least two years of full-time editorial experience at a digital publication.
- Desire to learn more about nonprofit media and our model.
- Basic Photoshop, HTML, and Google Analytics experience. Experience with SocialFlow, Sprout, or Buffer a plus.
- Some experience with paid social, including Facebook for Business and Google AdWords
- Experience using newsletter platforms, especially MailChimp.
- Strong writing ability, with a knack for summarizing stories quickly, accurately, and in a compelling voice.
- Strong editorial judgment.
- High emotional intelligence.
- A desire to innovate, problem-solve, and launch new initiatives.
- Enthusiasm for reaching new audiences.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- A sense of humor.
Why work for us:
Founded in 2015, The New Food Economy is food media’s leading nonprofit newsroom, named by the Online News Association as one of the best small newsrooms in the United States. Our stories win awards from entities like The James Beard Foundation, The Association for Food Journalists, and The New York Press Club, have been featured in Best American Food Writing, and generate both network news segments and proposed legislation on Capitol Hill.
We have one of the most interesting, dynamic, fraught, fast-changing, and delicious beats on the planet. The work is fascinating. The perks are tasty. And while we’re fiercely dedicated to covering the ever-evolving food system (by “food system” we mean pretty much everything from the farm to the fork), we’re even more dedicated to thoughtful, unbiased reporting that challenges our readers’ perceptions of the dichotomies we take for granted: big vs. small, local vs. global, urban vs. rural, fresh vs. frozen. (We definitely don’t always agree with each other, but enjoy the spirited debate.) This is a chance to join a tightly knit, collaborative team fully dedicated to shaping a beat we love, working each day to change food media for better.
Apply for Associate Audience Engagement Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly