Washington Correspondent, AJC
- Full Time
This is not just about filing the "story of the day" from Washington. We can get that from the wires. This position is focused on adding value for our readers by uncovering what is being done for Georgia, to Georgia and by Georgia's leaders.
The position includes occasional travel to Georgia and around the country following the 2020 campaign, with a focus on enterprise coverage. In addition, major corporations like Delta Air Lines, Southern Company and Home Depot call Atlanta home - and have big interests in D.C. that we want to follow closely.
A successful applicant will be adept at swiftly filing breaking news, executing step-back stories on the political scene and digging deep on watchdog coverage of Georgia's elected leaders and taxpayer dollars. You will need to show an ability to write with voice and authority on politics for multiple platforms. You will need to demonstrate ability to work well with a team, as you will work closely with political and state government reporters in Atlanta, as well as reporters covering business, health care and other topics. But you also must be a self-starter, with the ability to work your beat and produce with minimal hand-holding.
Qualifications:• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• At least three years of government and politics/policy coverage, preferably in Washington.
• Working knowledge of Congressional politics; knowledge of southern politics helpful.
• Strong news instincts and an eye for stories that connect Washington politics to readers in Georgia.
• Ability to write about policy, politics and Washington shenanigans in a clear, engaging, conversational style.
• Ability to produce stories, blog posts and other content for various platforms and enthusiasm for promoting it via social media and other methods.
• Proven ability to show what government action means to readers.
• Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills to work with reporters and editors in Atlanta.
• Experience covering political campaigns helpful.
• Some travel required.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.