Publishing Editor, Dow Jones Newswires
- Full Time
Dow Jones Newswires seeks a dynamic, quick editor to handle headlines and editing for our coverage of the most urgent news produced by Dow Jones and The Wall Street Journal.
This role positions you on the front lines of our real-time operations, putting some of the biggest news of the day in your hands as it breaks. The job also involves editing, publishing — and sometimes writing — rapid-fire, breaking-news headlines to subscribers who are reading on their terminals.
The right candidate will have broad knowledge of corporate and markets news and a clear understanding of what investors and traders expect from a real-time news service. She or he will be an accomplished line editor who can spot mistakes and also isn’t afraid to flip the structure of a story or ask important questions when there are holes.
We need someone who handles pressure with grace, inspires others with their passion for news and is adept with technology. This is an opportunity to edit market-leading breaking news for the global authority in business journalism. Applications should include a resume, cover letter, and up to five published clips.
- Exercises strong news judgment in headline writing, editing and fast-paced publishing.
- Knows how to edit for accuracy and essential details while expediting publishing; understands how to enhance stories iteratively through updates.
- Proficient in numeracy, draws on deep financial knowledge and is confident analyzing the data behind a story in real time.
- Demonstrates the ability to edit for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, structure, balance and fairness.
- Upholds Dow Jones standards and ethics.
- Recognizes the core audiences for Dow Jones Newswires, and their needs and expectations.
- Helps connect the content with the audience.
Digital media skills
- Easily adjusts to editing on different systems and platforms and various formats and styles.
- Proficient in using technology to enhance speed and efficiency of monitoring news, checking facts, handling urgent stories and communicating across teams.
- Understands the importance of proper coding and tagging for headlines and different types of content for different channels.
- Command of newsroom editorial tools, metadata and internal coding for Newswires.
- Possesses a well-honed sense of urgency along with a capacity to remain calm under pressure.
- Takes pride in and ownership of his or her own work.
- Prioritizes tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Meets deadlines.
- Collaborates with reporters and editors from other groups.
- Understands workflow beyond his or her own needs.
- Flexible in changing/handing off tasks.
- General awareness of how a newsroom works.
- Functions well within a team.
- Wants to learn new skills.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 18163