Director, Audience Development
- Full Time
Director, Audience Development
Team: PBS Digital Studios
The Director, Audience Development will work across PBS original digital programming platforms, social media and community platforms, to engage audiences and convert them into viewers and fans. This person should have extensive experience in analyzing audience behavior and turning this data into actionable recommendations for the PBS Digital Studios’ Programming team, Member Stations, third-party producers and talent.
This position is also responsible for managing owned, paid, and earned media efforts across PBS Digital Studios original programming. This includes social channel management, paid media campaign creation, oversight, and reporting. Additionally, this role manages channel optimization efforts toward audience recirculation and retention. This person should have a passion for storytelling and expertise in analyzing consumer behavior and turning this data into actionable recommendations.
Essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Develop high-level strategies to leverage existing audiences and build new communities across YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, PBS OTT and other platforms
- Work closely with PBS Digital Studios’ editorial and programming team to lead cross collaboration efforts with likeminded influencers, hosts, talent and channels
- Manage cutting-edge paid media strategies and manage paid media budgets
- Develop first-class strategies to champion original content placement in national publications (i.e., New York Times, Washington Post, The Atlantic, Buzzfeed, IFLS)
- Utilize data and metrics to develop suggestions for editorial and creative format adjustments that will maximize audience growth potential
- Lead market research and UX research analysis for prospective niche audiences and platforms
- Identify emerging content/video/audio platforms that will maximize audience potential for PBS
- Lead promotional and audience development strategies for original podcasts
- Research potential audiences for new programming, and create audience targeting documents and competitive analysis
- Source, hire and manage third-party consultants that implement promotion, outreach, and qualitative/quantitative market research for PBS Digital Studios content
- Maintain relationships with key PBS stakeholders (DS Programming, DS Operations, PBS Social, PBS Corporate Communication, PBS Multiplatform Content, BIG team, etc.) to build and execute strategies that drive audience and convert existing audience to fans/subscribers/viewers.
- Oversee the development of effective marketing strategies, influencer campaigns, communication plans, timelines, and special projects
- Identify synergies between broadcast programming audiences and digital-first audiences through collaboration with multiple stakeholders
- Own and lead launch/marketing meetings for new series and special projects
- Represent PBSDS internally and externally on key industry committees and events
- Coordinate with the PBS Social team to integrate Digital Studios content initiatives into broader PBS strategies and missions.
- Work closely with PBS Corporate Communications to market new show launches, special events and special episodes
- Work closely with PBSDS Programming to develop episodic publishing strategies and calendars that will maximize audience growth and community engagement potential
- Work closely with and advise PBS Member Station partners and potential partners to help maximize digital audiences and bolster promotional strategies
- Support collaborations among content creators, producers, and PBS Stations; foster regular communication and cross-promotion within the PBS Digital Studios network
Requirements for success:
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in social media and audience development
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience
- Existing relationships with PR agencies, outreach firms, and major publications (i.e., Buzzfeed, IFLS, HuffPost)
- Deep knowledge of engagement and optimization best practices for YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram TV
- Experience at an TV/cable network, podcast studio, or multi-channel network, advertising agencies are a huge plus
- Extensive experience with paid media campaigns (i.e. TrueView, Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Social Media Ads/Native Advertising, etc.)
- Deep experience with Google Analytics, YouTube dashboard, and Facebook Dashboard.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to present and develop unique strategies
- A team player, able to work cross-functionally to design custom solutions to achieve maximum results
- Strong quantitative skills and negotiations ability
- A demonstrated ability to think outside-the-box, while at the same time maintaining acceptable corporate standards and sensibilities.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities