Business News & Enterprise Reporter, AJC
- Full Time
Provides unique, in-depth cover stories for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution print and digital editions by independently examining local business institutions and trends. The writer must be highly skilled at research and source development and knowledgeable about state and federal laws. He or she must be capable of quick-turn news and longer-term watchdog and enterprise work while maintaining rigorous standards for fairness and accuracy.
Specialty: Business and development news
This person will lead coverage of commercial development throughout the Atlanta region. The focus will be on breaking exclusive news for readers and residents concerned about job growth, development and other economic trends in the Atlanta region. The reporter is expected to be able to work efficiently and with a high degree of self-direction.
College degree preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of professional journalism experience required, including significant experience on a business or comparable beat
• Proven record of serving audiences in a fast-paced, productive environment that is shaped by research, audience metrics and audience needs in print and in digital
• Strong news judgment.
• Keen organizational skills
• Demonstrates strong news judgment and clear ability to quickly develop reader-focused story ideas.
• Shows the ability to write with authority and to produce copy that does not require a substantial rewrite.
• Displays depth as a reporter and capability of delivering stories without reporting gaps.
• Has ability to juggle priorities and assignments.
• Collaborates effectively with others.
• Shows proficiency with reporting using records and databases.
• Uses time effectively, meeting deadlines and producing an acceptable volume of work.
• Demonstrates ability to break exclusive stories.
• Shows capacity to work on a range of topics and quickly gain sufficient knowledge.
• Demonstrates clear understanding of state and federal laws related to public records.
• Generates work that is balanced, fair, accurate and complete, incorporating, where appropriate, a diverse range of sources. Copy should not contain errors of fact of judgment and should not include any issue of bias.
• Handles other assignments as needed, showing flexibility and adaptability.
• Engages editors on best ways to present stories on digital and print platforms.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.