Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Job Title - Associate or Senior Editor (Ecology or Evolutionary Biology)
Organisation - Communications Biology
Location - New York
Nature Research is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. We are currently seeking an Associate or Senior Editor with research experience in ecology or evolutionary biology to join Communications Biology - a new multidisciplinary open access biology journal. The journal complements our other Nature Research open access titles, Nature Communications and Scientific Reports.
The Associate/Senior editor role may be what you are looking for if you feel that a career at the bench does not satisfy your desire to learn about a wide variety of scientific topics and you are interested in helping to bring exciting science to a global audience while having a positive impact on the peer review process.
The responsibilities include:
- Handling original research papers and working closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review.
- Making well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice.
- Guiding and assisting external editors with the tasks listed above
- Liaising extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature Research family and with experts in the international scientific community.
- Attending conferences and visiting research institutions.
- Commissioning Reviews and Comment articles and writing Editorials.
- Ensuring Production receives manuscripts in an appropriate and complete state.
- Other tasks as required.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline within ecology or evolutionary biology. Post-doctoral experience would be advantageous but not essential.
- A genuine passion for scientific communication and promoting rigor and transparency in reporting research.
- Enthusiasm for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your specialty.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of the biological sciences.
- An eagerness to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for the Senior Editor position. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis and will be located in our New York office. All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the USA.
Applicants should include a CV and a cover letter explaining their interest in the post, any prior editorial experience, and their preferred office of employment.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Please have your applications submitted by August 30, 2019. Early applications are encouraged as they will be reviewed upon submission.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
For US candidates, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.