Senior Editor/Writer, Global Health: In Health and Wealth Microsite
- Full Time
The Council’s David Rockefeller Studies Program is one of the country’s largest foreign policy think tanks with a widely respected and influential research staff. The Studies Program’s aim is to advance the discussion of American foreign policy and international affairs through its writing, publications, public outreach, and discussions.
The Global Health Program is developing a new multimedia website on ways that health is interacting with and driving issues of global concern. The Senior Editor/Writer will be responsible for managing daily operations for the blog, writing content, coordinating the work of multiple contributors, editing, and under the direction of the Director of the Global Health Program. This new multi-contributor website, tentatively entitled In Health and Wealth, will explore ways that economic development, trade, migration, agriculture, and urbanization interact with health.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Manage the development of the site, under the direction of the senior fellow. This includes working with the CFR Digital staff and outside contractors, participating in quality assurance testing, and collaborating on workflow
- Write posts on the website
- Work with multiple contributors to the website to coordinate their submissions, including editing, verifying facts, ensuring the contributors adhere to deadlines, and conferring with authors regarding changes in style or organization
- Handle the day-to-day management of the website, including conducting research on possible contributors, participating in the preparation of content for the site, and posting content on schedule, under the direction of the senior fellow
- Work in CFR’s content management system to create, build, post, and tag site content
Work with graphic resources on graphic production and coordination for the site
- Five or more years related experience in journalism with a thorough understanding of digital journalism
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated interest in and background in global health, international development, or health policy journalism strongly preferred, including experience writing on global health topics
- Strong research experience
- Experience with digital publishing, social media, and multimedia editing
- Experience with content management systems, HTML, Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, and/or Adobe Creative Cloud
- Exceptional organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and tasks independently and under deadlines
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Journalism, Public Health, Economics, or other related field with high academic achievement
- Entrepreneurial self-starter with proven ability to work with small groups and senior staff, and on projects spanning different time zones and cultural contexts
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, an office in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America's understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR's 5,000+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent magazine on global issues, and provides up-to-date information about the world and U.S. foreign policy on its award-winning website, CFR.org.
The Council on Foreign Relations offers a benefits package that is among the best offered by nonprofit institutions today, including an award-winning health and wellness program, an on-site fitness center, and generous leave policies and health insurance programs.
The Council on Foreign Relations is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.