- Full Time
The Taste of Home Art Director is responsible for concepting and designing Taste of Home magazine, special issues and book products. Under the direction of the senior art director, s/he partners with editors to oversee a publication’s creative direction, including responsibility for all aspects of design, from cover concepting and execution to interior page layout to ensuring print-ready files are finalized and delivered on time and within budget. Highly passionate and eager to stay on top of visual design trends, the Art Director conceives compelling designs, ensuring each product s/he leads maintains a consistent, compelling look and feel while adhering to Taste of Home’s brand guidelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborates with the editorial team and Senior Art Director to conceptualize each product, planning the overall design as it adheres to the established brand styles.
- Directs original cover concepts and formatted layouts. Assigns and provides production direction to contracted designer.
- Uses Macintosh-based Adobe CC Suite software to execute layouts. Expert at creating InDesign templates, paragraph, character and object style formats, master pages and other software shortcuts to maximize production efficiencies. Maintains current knowledge of new versions of software.
- Directs the research and selection of all visual assets, including stock and original photography, and illustration. Works with Rights department to secure correct permission usage.
- Adheres to budgets and resource allocations.
- Manages the workflow and traffic between departments for each project, communicating regularly with the editor, copy desk, the Rights department and prepress, updating each accordingly.
- Provides training to new employees and interns as requested.
- Advanced InDesign experience and proficient working knowledge of Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Implements fresh, dynamic creative through strong color sense, typography, page design and publication pacing. Meticulous attention to photo research, composition and editing.
- Solid understanding of creative concepting and development, art direction/design and strategy.
- Confident, diplomatic communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with great attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to balance priorities and work cooperatively with multiple teams.
- Ability to faithfully meet and manage multiple project deadlines.
- Work effectively as part of a team and take direction as well as work independently.
- College degree in graphic design, fine arts or related field or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- 5+ years’ experience in graphic art and design, preferably with a print publication background.