- Full Time
We are looking for a passionate and experienced Managing Editor to join our team and play a major role in the development of SurvivorNet, the country's leading media platform for cancer information.
The Managing Editor will lead the day-to-day execution of our website content which is currently reaching millions of people every month. The ideal candidate is driven by the desire to tell stories and create factual stories with integrity, accessibility, clarity, and occasional levity. Our managing editor needs an excellent programming sensibility and show know how to drive traffic.
The ideal candidate has a "get it done" outlook. This is a 100% hands-on, do what's needed, roll-up your sleeves start-up environment. We place a high value on creativity, meticulousness, high energy, and the ability to solve problems and invent solutions. In return, you'll get to be a key leader of a very exciting company that's having a major impact in the health space.
We care about hiring and retaining key talent and have great incentives for our key hires.
- Build, in conjunction with the leadership team, a dynamic, professional, nimble and integrated multimedia (text, video, photos, data visualization and infographics) content publishing operation:
- Creation: voice; tone; ideation; assignment; planning; producing/editing
- Packaging: UX/UI; SEO; imagery; headline and display copy writing
- Distribution: audience development; social media; newsletters; syndication; thought leadership
- Analytics: audience behavior; benchmarking staff and audience metrics, and development
- Rapidly scale audience and engagement on the website, social media channels and partner platforms
- Deploy and utilize analytics across the operation to understand and benchmark content consumption, user behavior, and staff performance and priorities
- Develop editorial workflows, process and procedures
- In partnership with the Production and Technology Directors, craft and maintain budgets, manage staffing schedules, negotiate contracts
- Shape and nurture talent, helping them develop their voices and roles
- Create a culture of transparency, collaboration and accountability
- Significant experience with, or a very a strong interest in wellness or health content
- Proven success in growing audience numbers and increasing audience engagement — across multiple platforms
- A deep understanding of data and analytics as used on the web, mobile and key social platforms: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Fluency in the key differences for programming and community management for specific social platforms
- Fluency in digital production: Experience in operating a CMS to nimbly and creatively build content packages; a thorough understanding of SEO; and proficiency in building product, UI and UX
- Ability to work on deadline
- Ability to deliver against a defined set of metrics and key performance indicators (KPI), on deadline and under budget
- Ability to work collaboratively, in an open, friendly manner. Must be organized, detail-oriented and resourceful; stellar interpersonal and problem-solving skills required
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years experience in content production, with at least 5 years as a senior leader at a digital operation