Visual and Creative Designer
- Full Time
Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day to day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include: Excellence- We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom- We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency- We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
Working closely with the Director of Communications, the visual and graphic designer is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the Institute’s visual branding across multiple print and online platforms. These include printed and electronic collateral materials such as e-bulletins, brochures, reports, infographics, invitations, signs and web images for all of IRI’s initiatives and events.
To ensure that IRI is utilizing all of its products to strengthen the Institute’s brand, the visual and graphic designer supports the Institute’s programs through consultations and design support for products they are developing that represent IRI including fact sheets, photographs and infographics for the Institute’s publications and promotional collateral. Working with program and business development staff, the graphic designer is also responsible for ensuring all materials also meet funder branding guidelines.
The visual and graphic designer is responsible for the production and editing of the organization’s video products and will work closely with the Communications team to determine and execute the organization’s video strategy. Videos include short expert briefs for use in social media as well as other short video products as appropriate.
The graphic designer is responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with printers and, when workload demands, freelance designers that can produce high quality products that meet IRI branding requirements.
Though design will be the main focus of the graphic and creative designer, s/he will be responsible for shooting photographs and maintaining the organization’s photographic archives.
- BA of BFA in graphic design, visual communications or related field.
- 2-3 years of professional experience.
- Strong skills in Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Premiere and Illustrator.
- Demonstrated strong aesthetic judgment, conceptual thinking and competence across a range of production skills.
- Experience creating infographics.
- Experience capturing professional photo and video images that tell stories.
- Familiarity designing with PowerPoint and MS Word within the PC and/or Mac environment.
- Understanding of branding and e-marketing.
- Understanding of social networking tools.
- Excellent organizational and decision-making skills and the ability to initiate work.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and commitment to providing high quality work with a service-oriented approach.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Designs electronic and print collateral materials.
- Oversees the production of collateral materials and is responsible for all phases of print production, including identifying printers, negotiating prices with vendors, getting appropriate approvals for drafts, ensuring deadlines are met and vendors are paid.
- Ensures the Institute has high quality printers and freelance designers available when needed to support the Institute’s work.
- Ensures IRI meetings and events are captured visually.
- Maintains IRI’s photo and video libraries, which includes making sure overseas and DC-based staff are taking photos and uploading them so that photos are continually available for web and print use.
- Assists staff in taking high quality photos through continual assessment of equipment and through tutorials on taking photos.
- Develop social media graphics, animations, gifs, and video. Ensuring that all creative assets are optimized for social media channels
- Assists when needed with website design and content, as well as the maintenance of social media accounts.
- Video editing and producing.
- Other duties as assigned.