Senior Manager, Marketplace & Consumer Insights
Posted: 9/6/2019 | Expires: 10/6/2019
Location: NEW YORK, New York
Function: Writing & Editing
Specialty: Audience Development
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Are you insatiably curious?
Are you excited when confronted with a complex challenge?
Are you passionate about books and reading?
If so, you might be a great fit for a new role within the Consumer Insights Team at Penguin Random House. The Consumer Insights Team is committed to building a reader-led culture (book-world speak for consumer-driven) within the organization. We do this by better understanding consumer and reader preferences, behaviors and attitudes and sharing those insights with our colleagues across divisions (including all of our imprints) and job functions (from marketing, to publicity, to sales). These insights inform decisions that are better for readers, and better for the business.
We’re seeking a business-minded and consumer-centric analyst to support our “Marketplace” function, supporting solutions to business questions from our corporate sales team. Questions you might be asked include: Who’s the shopper at retailer X? How might we inform a merchandising recommendation for retailer Y based on consumer trends? How can we support a pitch for a new account?
You will report to the Director, Marketplace & Consumer Insights, and collaborate with the larger Consumer Insights Team, to harvest meaningful data from a variety of sources (ranging from proprietary tools to syndicated databases) to generate meaningful insights independently and collaboratively, and help socialize these findings (via reports, findings summaries, and socialization sessions/workshops)with stakeholders across teams.
This team also oversees our reader segmentation tool, so a passion for and/or prior experience with segmentation is a plus. We also share consumer-driven trends, so a passion for storytelling in a culturally-relevant way would be helpful.
* Strategic mindset:Comfortable with weaving together a mix of quant, qual and sales data to make a compelling case
* Ability to digest complex information and distill into clear and actionable insights
* Creative thinker always focused on the best way to solve a business challenge
* Adept collaborator:Great people skills/stakeholder management
* Works well with others, strong collaboration skills
* Can manage multiple priorities and persistently drive high-quality outcomes in a timely manner
* A good attitude is a must-have.
* Commitment to excellence:Attention to detail; high data integrity
* A business mindset with an eye for amplifying sales impact
An ideal candidate:
* Has 4-7 years experience in consumer insights and/or related experience in a business environment
* Preference for prior experience in the retail industry, sales, consulting, or business analysis
* Experience working with clients and/or managing multiple stakeholders is a plus.
* Comfort with tools (including consumer intelligence tools/databases), such as: Excel, Power BI, syndicated tools, such as: YouGov, AudienceView
* Has experience in a “business to consumer” capacity, or a strong passion for consumer insights
* Is able to drive a project autonomously, but get buy-in, support as needed
* Has a fresh perspective on publishing (no prior experience in the industry required)
We told you a little bit about us, and we’d love to hear about you! Please include something about your personal passion/ interests (outside of what might traditionally be included on your resume) in your cover letter to help us get to know you a little better.About us:
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community includes nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints. To learn more, visit: http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.