- Full Time
As a part of the Office of External Affairs, the Publishing group helps raise RAND's profile by contributing to the awareness, understanding, and appreciation of RAND, our work, and our people through the development and publication of research and outreach products, such as books, corporate collateral, summaries, perspectives, data visualizations, and presentations. The Publishing group has an exciting opportunity for a Graphic Artist to join the team in the Santa Monica office.
Graphic Artists create templated to highly complex graphic artwork, presentations, conference material, book covers, flyers, programs, brochures, and other outreach and event collateral using best graphic arts practices and standards. Duties include but not limited to:
- Preparing illustrative material such as business charts, presentation slides, data charts, graphs, and illustrations from author-produced digital artwork, rough sketches, and verbal instruction.
- Maintaining quality of products/assignments with excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Preparing and formatting data charts and figures for reports and other publications that conform to established quality standards by utilizing software applications including Excel, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Preparing files ready for web publishing and digital printing.
- Creating and manually cutting, from cardstock and foamboard, placards, name cards, programs, badges, and other collateral material to support events and maintaining quality through print, trim, and delivery.
- Developing interpretive and illustrative themes and concepts as needed to convey ideas and information; determining and procuring appropriate icons, symbols, and images for use in the composition of charts, illustrations, and presentations.
- Assisting with efficient workflow and scheduling.
- Coordinating with clients, editors, production, and other teams to determine illustration objectives and translating into graphic terms.
- Acting as project manager on some small projects and works with production editors, designers, web producers, and printers to ensure quality.
- Developing and maintaining knowledge of alternative production techniques and resources.
- Supporting image and brand recognition requirements.
Proficiency with Excel and Illustrator for plotting data charts, InDesign for producing collateral products including conference materials and stationery, and PowerPoint for appying animations and builds in presentations is required.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Macintosh and Windows platforms and be able to perform cross-platform conversions.
- Advanced knowledge of desktop publishing software layout technique
- Demonstrated experience creating business graphics, presentations, and collateral materials utilizing Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word), and other graphics-related software.
- Knowledge of charting and chart types in Excel, Powerpoint, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Knowledge of tracing maps and images in Illustrator.
- Experience with cutting conference material and signs from cardstock and foamboard.
- Proven ability to adhere to detailed accuracy and consistency in measurement and execution.
A BA/BS in a related field is required.
A minimum of one year of relevant experience is required for this position.
Successful candidates must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
Please include a URL for your online portfolio in your cover letter.
RAND is an Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity