- Full Time
The American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) in Arlington, VA, a professional scientific society, is recruiting a Managing Editor. The Managing Editor handles all processes in the development and production of AAPS’ monthly magazine, AAPS Newsmagazine. The Managing Editor will coordinate editorial content, graphics, layout and design, advertising, and the magazine’s digital presence per issue. This position sets strategy for the magazine, working closely with other AAPS departments. The Managing Editor manages multiple vendor relationships.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop editorial calendar for newsmagazine in cooperation with all related parties, e.g., printer, staff, advertising agency, etc.;
- Coordinate and acquire editorial content for newsmagazine, including from scientists, freelancers, staff, and others.;
- Proofread and copyedit content submitted by scientists, freelancers, staff, and others, to comply with the AAPS Style Guide;
- Coordinate staff-input process for final edits of content and design;
- Coordinate graphics for all articles, digital and in print;
- Write articles, as necessary, e.g., President’s Report, Did You Know column, Member Spotlight;
- Coordinate print and digital advertisements for newsmagazine with advertising agency and other staff;
- Manage copyright transfers for all outside authors;
- Manage and coordinate reprint and reuse requests;
- Manage newsmagazine’s digital platform, including uploading content and graphics;
- Actively maintain an awareness of trends and best practices in online publishing through self-guided research and participation in professional development programming;
- Oversee design and layout process for print issues with outside designer;
- Manage production processes, including printing services, mailing services, and digital content;
- Manage vendor relations with newsmagazine-specific roles, e.g., printer, mailing service, news provider, etc.;
- Liaise with other AAPS departments to use the newsmagazine to support membership and business development;
- Assist with promotion of AAPS Newsmagazine content, including on social media;
- Manage the AAPS Style Guide;
- Manage newsmagazine budget with oversight by Director of Publications;
- Process newsmagazine-related invoices and check requests; and
- Assist with proofreading and copyediting other AAPS content, as necessary.
- Requires demonstrated effective communication skills (verbal, written, and listening) and excellent interpersonal skills at all levels of business, with a strong orientation towards providing outstanding customer service as part of a team.
- Must be capable of multitasking in a busy, high-volume environment and have the ability to effectively manage time, prioritize tasks, and work within deadlines.
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented, and have demonstrated effective follow-up skills.
- Must have firm command of written English, expertise in in-line editing and proofreading, and familiarity with well-known style guides.
- Must be up-to-date on best practices in association magazine publishing and be willing to make small or large changes to processes and products.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
- Experience in Adobe InCopy preferred.
- Experience with website content management systems preferred.
- Experience writing for social media preferred.
- Understanding of copyright law and intellectual property preferred.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5 years of managerial editorial/writing experience required.
- 3 years of experience editing/writing scientific content required.
Interested candidates should send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Managing Editor" in the subject line.