Freelance Consumer Technology Writer [Multiple Positions]
Lifewire, one of the largest tech sites on the web, is looking for a number of experienced freelance technology writers who share our passion for creating content that leaves readers feeling educated, empowered, and understood. We’re looking for writers who think of themselves more as technology educators than journalists.
Our goal is to demystify consumer technology for folks who may not be enthusiasts, but use technology every day. Here's the kind of person we're looking for to write for the Lifewire audience:
- You read about technology for fun
- You enjoy experimenting and trying new technology for fun
- You regularly toss aside your working setup to try something completely new
- Your friends and family tend to contact you before they buy any tech product
- 5+ years demonstrable experience writing about consumer-facing technology
- Experience writing for a web-based publication
- Ability to write on a breadth of technology topics, across popular platforms and devices
- Strong research skills
- Very high comfort level and demonstrable experience writing straightforward, practical, and instructional-style advice on technology
- Terrific skills in screenshot-taking and finding great images for your content
- Experience with a WordPress-style CMS
- A working Google Account and familiarity with Google Sheets
- Experience working with an Assignment Editor and Copy Editor
- Demonstrable experience documenting processes
- Demonstrable experience creating curriculum or other educational content
- Experience creating animated GIFs or custom imagery
- Active social media following
We are not currently accepting applications via resume/CV. To be considered, you must fill out this form to apply: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfstXlZ5GVpNYSbL9L8X5WKAKDJO97JYIyqcmH7HsdSKW3gNg/viewform
Our freelancer contracts last for up to one year and may be renewed. We require a minimum number of pieces to be submitted per month, a number we individualize with each of our writers based on their abilities and our needs. Most pieces are between 500 and 1500 words. We offer competitive per-article rates.
What Our Articles Look Like
- Best Apps for Apple Pencil
- 20 Free Data Recovery Software Tools
- How to Fix Hal.dll Errors in Windows 7, 8, 10, & Vista
- How to Disable the Touchscreen in Windows 10
- How to Force-Quit a Program in Windows
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Byrdie, MyDomaine, Brides and ThoughtCo.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a email@example.com account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.