- Full Time
Cox Media Group Tulsa has an immediate opening for an Assignment Editor to join Responsible for logistics working directly with reporters, photographers, producers, managers and the digital department to cover the news of the day, as well as generate enterprise stories. Planning and looking ahead is a must.
This person MUST possess a sense of urgency, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and news judgment. This person will monitor police/fire scanners for multiple counties; field phone calls, monitor emails and scan multiple branded social media accounts for news tips from the public. You will dispatch crews to cover content for our digital, radio and television platforms.
This person will utilize their journalism training to write breaking news, weather and non-urgent content for our digital products, when needed. You will need to see the big picture, understand the significance of editorial content vs video content and be able to produce stories from the assignment desk. Schedule may include nights, weekends and holidays.
Responsible for logistics 60%
• Field phone calls in the newsroom
• Monitor scanners, websites and other news gathering methods.
• Effectively communicate to producers, reporters, photographers and managers where news events are happening, where crews are located, and who to move to get stories covered.
• Work with the Producers to coordinate coverage using the best
Technology in the best locations.
• Understand the significance of editorial content and research drivers.
• Keep assign file accurately updated and keep producers and web producers updated on changes.
• Update the web and social media if necessary
Planning news coverage - 40%
• Stay up to date on big stories.
• Look ahead to coverage challenges.
• Manage emails and planner.
• Communicate to producers and assignment editors on all shifts the stories that are available for coverage and logistics information.
Communicate with affiliate stations to get stories in other areas covered. Qualifications:• Degree in journalism or related field • At least an internship in local news • The ability to multitask, strong organizational skills and solid news judgement. • You should have a strong foundation of the web, and social media. Knowledge of the Tulsa area is a plus.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.