Senior Editor - Houston
- Full Time
The journalist in this position is expected to distinguish Texas Monthly’s coverage of one of America’s most dynamic, diverse, and fascinating cities. He or she will originate ideas for original stories, along with fresh and provocative angles on major stories in the news. This person will report and write in an expeditious manner, coordinate closely with editors, and submit articles that are clean and require minimal editing. This journalist will report to the news and politics editor, but, with the approval of that supervisor, may write for any of the assigning editors on staff. He or she is expected to be available during regular business hours and occasional evenings or weekends in the event of a breaking news story.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Pitch and write two web-first stories of quality each week. On breaking news and continuing stories, we’re looking for stories that essentially say to the reader, “you’ve likely read x, but what you need to understand here is y.”
- Be our eyes and ears in Houston— develop and make use of local knowledge and contacts to suss out stories and angles that others might not have (and that those of us in Austin might not otherwise hear about).
- Stories should come in at or close to their assigned length, and should be clean, cohesive, and contain information for ease of fact checking (links to sources, etc.).
- Participate on a daily basis in pitching and discussing possible stories in the Texas Monthly Slack channels. Contributions to any section or editor are acceptable as long as they are approved by the news and politics editor.
- In addition to daily/weekly pitches, contribute to the monthly editorial pitch packet, and attend monthly pitch sessions in Austin as often as possible.
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities:
- Great facility with language
- Enthusiasm for telling stories digitally and using modern web tools to do so
- A nose for good narratives and the ability to execute them
- Precise line-editing chops
- An appreciation for deadlines
- Three to five years’ experience editing, in print or online, preferred.
- Investigative experience is a plus.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate an intimate knowledge of Texas—its past, its present, and, above all else, the many opportunities it offers for great storytelling.
If you are a qualified candidate, please email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED. TEXAS MONTHLY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Apply for Senior Editor - Houston
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly