Vintage and Anchor Books, a division of the Knopf Doubleday Group at Penguin Random House, is seeking a dynamic and experienced Publicity Director to join their team. Reporting to the Executive Vice President and Publisher, the Publicity Director will oversee the imprint’s publicity staff and will have responsibility for planning and implementing strategies for author promotions (including tours, review and media coverage, and social media) for more than two hundred paperbacks (reprints and originals) each year.
The Publicity Director will work closely with our authors and their agents, as well as the Knopf Doubleday Group’s hardcover editors and marketers, and Penguin Random House’s corporate sales and communication colleagues. Additionally, the Publicity Director will cultivate tie-in partnerships with film, television and media companies, and identify promotional opportunities for books across the Vintage Anchor catalog, one of the industry’s most significant literary backlists comprised of more than 5,000 paperbacks and ebooks.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience planning and executing PR campaigns and tours for high-profile authors, have a proven track-record of booking national media, and will thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Candidates should have excellent communication skills and an established network of broadcast, print and online media contacts, experience managing multiple direct reports, as well as the ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Strategizing, planning, and executing publicity campaigns that will maximize exposure for authors and their books.
* Securing national and regional TV, print, radio and online feature and review coverage for our authors.
* Planning and booking extensive national multi-city book tours, with events in bookstores, libraries, community-reads programs, and other large speaking venues.
* Preparing title campaign budgets and tracking seasonal expense projections.
* Collaborating closely with hardcover imprint colleagues on long-term strategies for the group’s major authors, brands and series.
* Coaching and prepping talent for public presentations and media interviews.
* Accompanying authors to media interviews and events.
* Managing relationships with select book festivals and conferences throughout the year.
* Developing and maintaining strong, trusting relationships with authors and the media.
* Drafting compelling press materials and targeted pitches.
* Attending and presenting at weekly and seasonal sales and marketing meetings.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* Significant prior work experience in book publicity, with an emphasis placed on booking top-line media and author tours
* Exceptional writing and pitching skills
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Existing relationships with national and regional media contacts, festival organizers and bookstore event contacts.
* Strong understanding of social media as a promotional tool for authors and for the publishing program
* Experience presenting in front of large groups including internal meetings and with outside clients
* Proven ability to meet deadlines, multitask, and prioritize
* Strong organizational skills
* The ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also maintaining accuracy and attention to detail are essential
* Occasional travel with high profile authors as needed
* Proficiency with publicity software, including Muck Rack and Cision
* Proficiency with social media tracking and analytical tools
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Vintage/Anchor Books is an imprint of the Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. Known as an industry-leading paperback publisher, its roster of authors includes Kazuo Ishiguro, Alice Munro, Toni Morrison, Cormac McCarthy, Margaret Atwood, Stieg Larsson, Dan Brown, Jon Krakauer, David Grann, Paulo Coelho, Haruki Murakami, Colson Whitehead, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Sandra Cisneros, and Dave Eggers, among others.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.