Head of Creative Studios -Senior Director, Creative Studios
- Full Time
We are Cox and our people are working together to solve the most pressing problems of our time. That may sound like hyperbole, but it’s quite literally what we’re doing. We’re revolutionizing how people move from place to place through alternative, greener modes of transportation. We’re pioneering sustainable agriculture methods to meet society’s food needs in the present without compromising the ability of future generations to do the same. We’re converting trash to renewable energy and construction materials in order to slash greenhouse gas emissions and reduce the glut of global waste. Quite simply, our 50,000+ people are working around the globe to remove barriers and build a brighter future.
Great things never came from comfort zones. The world is changing fast, and we need your grit, gray matter and commitment to creative greatness to drive our success. What you’ll doYou’ll direct, manage and inspire a multi-disciplinary in-house agency team to successfully deliver on a range of creative services at an innovative, thoughtful, tactical and strategic level. Serving as a key member of the department leadership team, you’ll be instrumental in helping us build on our strengths and accelerate our progress to creative and executional excellence. In addition to directing the daily functions of the in-house agency, you’ll ensure the implementation of operational, organizational, staffing and professional development best practices.
Your outstanding creative skills and judgment will help guide the team to achieve the highest possible creative standards for all materials, regardless of medium. This role has final creative decision-making authority. You’ll promote a culture that values talent, collaboration, autonomy and accountability where every creative contributor strives to elevate these standards over time, driving the performance of the entire team. This role will ensure that all divisions and departments align with the overall mission of the in-house agency. To that end, you’ll need to quickly cultivate a strong working knowledge of our brands’ business challenges so that you can inspire innovative and conceptual solutions to address those challenges.Team Leadership
- Work harmoniously with others and lead the team in a collaborative fashion
- Share critical information
- Help set a tone of cooperation and collaboration within the in-house agency and across the organization; promote a “be of service” solution-oriented and continuous improvement mentality across the in-house agency
- Find common ground with clients when debating creative or strategic opinions
- Give the team proper recognition and credit for their contributions
- Build a collective team vision and define goals and objectives, driving employee engagement and overall team performance
- Develop, coach and mentor direct reports through formal and informal feedback, including annual performance reviews
- Implement teambuilding and inspirational programs and events that drive a culture of team and collaboration
- Mentor team in the ideation process, leveraging research, analytics and brand insights
- Ensure the highest level of team performance through the implementation of operational, staffing, organizational and professional development best practices
- Create and promote a culture that values talent, collaboration, autonomy and accountability where every contributor strives to elevate these standards over time, driving the performance of the entire team
- Define organizational goals and align departments effectively
- Act as a liaison between team and high-level executives
- Proactively identify and act on opportunities for operational improvements
- Provide strategic business advice and insights on best business practices to key stakeholders
- Analyze in-house agency metrics and proactively identify and act on opportunities for operational improvements
- Ensure team is compliant with all branding, operational, legal and regulatory mandates, policies and guidelines
- Build strong relationships with clients; be perceived as a credible, trusted advisor and find common ground with clients when debating creative or strategic issues to ensure appropriate and mutually beneficial outcomes
- Direct team to accomplish creative objectives by guiding ideation and brainstorming on high-level projects when needed and exercise final creative decision-making authority.
- Provide brand guidance and direction to ensure consistent alignment with and growth of brand standards
- Encourage development of new interpretations of the brand standards and out-of-the-box approaches to grow the verbal and visual identity of the brand
- Confidently and diplomatically steward new ideas through the organization on behalf of the team
- Manage team to a consistent high level of quality as evaluated by senior leaders and clients
#LI-501Qualifications:Who you areYou’re rooted in creative business management and people development. You have the organizational chops and innovative instincts to craft in-house creative team processes and requirements that work beautifully and scale smoothly. You’ve mastered the art and science of building an innovative and results-driven team of creative professionals and your leadership style inspires great performance.More specifically, you have:
- Broad and deep understanding of industry best practicesIn-depth understanding of and ability to execute on metrics and data-driven best practices
- Superior relationship building skills
- Excellent people management skills - ability to coach, mentor and develop staff
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to apply strategic thinking to all business challenges and opportunities
- Ability to articulate the creative rationale that drives conceptual execution and tactics
- Strong presentation, selling and negotiating skills
- Demonstrated creative conceptualization skills and proven operational excellence
- Excellent project and organizational management skills, and highly organized
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Design, Advertising, English, Journalism or related field; MFA preferred
- Minimum of 15 years of creative, communications and/or marketing services experience
- Minimum of 5 years in-house/corporate creative or communications department management experience required
- External agency experience desired; Large (25+) multi-disciplinary team experience preferred
- You’ll be rewarded with great, highly competitive pay and generous incentives, plus other compensation perks you’ve come to expect (e.g., 401k + matching, comprehensive medical benefits, extremely generous paid time off) and others you may not (e.g., adoption assistance, paid time off to volunteer, pet insurance and much more…)
- Work/Life Balance. We understand that one size does not fit all. Job flexibility is central to our culture because team members have different working styles and important stuff going on outside the office, too. That’s why we offer flexible work schedules and remote work options. For us to be us, you need to do you.
- Smart and creative colleagues and ongoing learning opps. You’ll have the team and design / organizational tools you need to do your job well without a lot of red tape. Plus, we know how important it is for you and your team to stay brushed up on your design knowledge and skills, so we invest in your ongoing training to make sure you have what you need to enable your growth and impact.
- Boundless career opportunities for lateral and upward movement across a high-performing portfolio of businesses spanning diverse industries.
About Cox Enterprises
Cox Enterprises is a leading communications, media and automotive services company. The company's major operating subsidiaries include Cox Communications (cable television distribution, high-speed Internet access, telephone, home security and automation, commercial telecommunications and advertising solutions); Cox Automotive (automotive-related auctions, financial services, media and software solutions); and Cox Media Group (television and radio stations, digital media, newspapers and advertising sales rep firms).
The company's major national brands include Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book and Manheim. Through Cox Automotive, the company's international operations stretch across Asia, Australia, Europe and Latin America. To learn more about Cox's commitment to people, sustainability and our communities, please visit www.CoxCSRReport.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.