BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Associate Editor, BMC Medicine
Location: London or New York
Closing Date: 27th August 2019
BMC Medicine is an ambitious flagship journal of BMC, publishing research and reviews on important advances across medical research aimed at understanding, diagnosing and treating disease. The editorial team prides itself on providing an excellent service to authors, reviewers and readers.
We are now looking for an Associate Editor to join the BMC Medicine editorial team. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the editorial mission of BMC Medicine, working as part of a dynamic team of editors who assess manuscripts, commission content and travel internationally to promote the journal.
- Assessing manuscripts for advance, interest level and scientific content
- Identifying peer reviewers and managing the peer review process
- Developing expertise in one or more scientific areas within the journal’s scope
- Commissioning and editing content such as Reviews, Opinions and Research Highlights
- Attending conferences and carrying out institute visits to represent the journal
- Promotion of the journal via social media and suggesting articles for press releases and marketing
- Contributing to journal strategy and policies
- Helping to monitor journal performance
- Other duties as required by manager
- A PhD, MD, or equivalent experience, in a relevant area
- Broad scientific interests in areas relevant to the journal
- Excellent written communication skills
- Confident verbal communicator (by phone, in person, in groups)
- Good attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Enthusiastic and collegial team player
- Willing to travel internationally to represent the journal at conferences
- Awareness of current challenges and opportunities in scientific publishing
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.