Let Grow is a nonprofit that promotes independence as a critical part of growing up. We believe that when children are as treated physically and emotionally fragile, we rob them of the experiences essential for their positive emotional development into adulthood. Through community-driven advocacy and education, we aim to make it normal again to let kids be kids.
Over the coming months, we will be launching several new content initiatives, including a publication on Medium, a podcast, and more video-driven storytelling. We are seeking outstanding freelance writers and content creators to grow our voice and our movement. You will tackle a wide range of topics that connect to the mission of Let Grow and childhood independence and resiliency. If you’re someone who excels at creating content that’s relatable, reasoned, inspired, and provocative, we want to hear from you.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Pitch and write at least 2-3 medium to long-form pieces per month with an evergreen focus that covers parenting topics through the Let Grow lens.
- Produce content including but not limited to features, research-backed articles, opinion pieces, and interviews.
- Leverage our passionate and growing community of parents and other supporters to brainstorm story ideas.
- 3+ years of experience writing for highly visible online publications, preferably in a vertical focused on parenting, childhood, or related topics.
- Genuinely knowledgeable and passionate about the topics and cultures (both positive and negative) that relate to our mission, such as free-range parenting, helicopter/snowplow parenting, unsupervised/unstructured activity, free play, social-emotional learning, self-directed learning, and others.
- You have strong opinions and ideas on how raising independent and resilient children intersects class, culture, race, education, emotional intelligence, civics, or the many other topics that exist in our orbit. More importantly, you know how to turn those ideas into great stories.
- You have experience producing stories ranging from essential Q&A-driven articles to research and data-supported content.
- Experience in multimedia journalism and storytelling a big plus.
- Familiarity and proficiency with Wordpress, Medium, Google Analytics, and productivity tools such as Grammarly, Basecamp, Airtable, and Slack.
- Basic HTML and content SEO optimization skills
- A deep desire to change the culture of overprotection!
In addition to your application, please include at least three relevant stories you’ve recently written.