Media Relations Manager
- Full Time
Founded in 1981 in partnership with whistleblowers, the Project On Government Oversight (POGO) is a nonpartisan independent watchdog that works to expose waste, corruption, abuse of power, and other instances where the government fails to serve the public. We champion reforms to achieve a more effective, ethical, and accountable federal government that safeguards constitutional principles. Over the past decade, POGO has steadily increased media coverage of its work and experts and has been covered by The New York Times, The Daily Beast, Yahoo News, The American Conservative, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC.
POGO’s Communications Team is looking for a talented Media Relations Manager to help improve POGO’s press outreach and engagement as well as enhance our efforts to gain media attention on our investigative findings, policy solutions, and POGO generally. The Media Relations Manager reports directly to the Chief Communications Strategist.
- Work in coordination with the Chief Communications Strategist to ensure POGO’s press/media strategy align with the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Draft and distribute press releases, press pitches, op-eds, editorial packets, and other written media materials.
- Identify new and emerging earned media opportunities.
- Build and nurture relationships with the established and emerging reporters and producers who cover the wide range of POGO issues.
- Act as a POGO spokesperson and train other spokespeople for TV, print, radio, and podcast interviews.
- Work with the Director of Investigations to identify and facilitate co-publishing opportunities with major national news outlets.
- Monitor and analyze media coverage of POGO issues and experts, reporting on the progress of key performance indicators.
- Work in conjunction with POGO’s Social Media Editor to increase POGO’s engagement with journalists and producers.
- Assist with the editing of marketing materials produced by the development, communications, and civic engagement teams.
- Other duties as required to accomplish POGO’s mission.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in journalism, communications, or a related field.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional relationship-building skills.
- Demonstrated experience as a content creator and editor. Must be able to write at a high-level on short deadlines.
- Proven track record working with media to achieve high-impact placements.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and handle multiple projects at a time.
- Demonstrated commitment to working in a nonpartisan, collaborative, respectful manner with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record of taking initiative to solve problems and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Strong knowledge of communications and press relations best practices.
Compensation and benefits:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience in the range of $46k-$69k.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance.
- 403(b) investment plan available, with employer retirement contribution once eligible.
- Life insurance and long-term disability coverage.
- Metro SmartTrip benefits.
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, subject line: Media Relations Manager, or mail application to: Project On Government Oversight, 1100 G Street, NW, #500, Washington, DC 20005. No phone calls please.
Submission Deadline: September 27th, 2019
POGO provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We encourage all interested and qualified individuals to apply.