Director, Brand and Communications
- Full Time
Director, Brand and Communications
Blue Meridian Partners
Blue Meridian Partners is a pioneering philanthropic model for finding and funding scalable solutions to the problems that trap America’s young people and families in poverty and limit economic mobility.
We operate with an investor mindset, but measure success in terms of greater social impact, rather than financial returns. Blue Meridian takes a rigorous, strategic approach to philanthropic investing: identifying, funding and scaling the most promising strategies poised to make a national impact Our portfolio of “investees” addresses some of the root causes of inequity and lack of opportunity—poverty, mass incarceration, foster care, unemployment, and more. Our experience convinces us that solutions are achievable.
We provide social sector leaders with the flexible, upfront growth capital they require to reach their full potential. We offer philanthropists a way to amplify the impact of their investments by finding the initiatives that produce the most effective results, while sharing the costs, risks and successes.
We come to this work with a decades-long track record of innovation in philanthropy and a comprehensive investing approach developed at the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation (EMCF). We are constantly learning, exploring, and seeking out new collaborations in relentless pursuit of creating lasting impact at scale that can change the lives of generations.
The Director, Brand and Communications, is responsible for leading key projects, developing content, and managing relationships that support the goals of the Blue Meridian’s communications plan. Reporting to the Chief Brand Officer, the Director works closely with the other members of the Brand & Communications team as well as with other senior leaders. The Director will have day-to-day operational responsibility for the implementation of the communications strategy in line with Blue Meridian’s messaging and mission and serve as a go-to resource for the internal team and consultants.
New York City
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
Communications Strategy & Execution
- Support the creation and ongoing refinement of the Blue Meridian’s strategic communications plan.
- Identify and address communications-related needs for Blue Meridian’s investment portfolio, fundraising, partner relations, and overall brand building
- Manage and execute projects that deliver on the communications strategy or development priorities.
- Craft and execute strategies for proactive media (national and trade press), including reaching out to media contacts and developing press kits and talking points.
- Serve as a key point of contact for inbound media inquiries and manage organizational response to media including developing responses, statements and other materials.
- Provide support to the Chief Brand Officer and Chief of Staff on crisis communications. Draft statements and talking points, conduct research, and coordinate with outside groups as needed.
- In partnership with senior leaders and in support of Blue Meridian’s goals, set vision and structure for each event.
- Manage the execution of signature events including convenings of investee leaders, cultivation events for prospective funders, and communication/PR events. Lead development of any branded collateral, identify and secure speakers, and supervise overall logistics.
Leadership & Departmental
- Represent the Brand & Communications department by attending or leading discussions with the broader team and senior leaders as well as serving as a key point of contact with outside vendors and the appropriate staff of investee organizations.
- Act as the operational leader for the team, ensuring that projects are completed on schedule and resources are well-allocated. Supervise junior staff and leverage Chief Brand Officer appropriately.
- Oversee work of external consultants. S/he will retain their services, negotiate contracts and review their work to ensure it meets the organization’s expectations.
- The Director must share Blue Meridian’s mission and be driven by personal values that align closely with Blue Meridian’s core values.
- At least 10 years of hands-on professional experience in the field of communications, including at least 7 years of leadership experience in developing and implementing strategic communications plans, dealing with the media, and leading large-scale events. Bachelor’s degree required. Experience leading operations and/or experience in philanthropy is a plus.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, including very strong attention to detail and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks in a fluid, dynamic environment while continuing to meet deadlines.
- Exceptional written communication skills. Must be able to draft content for external materials in line with Blue Meridian’s brand voice, messaging, and strategy, edit and improve others’ writing, and have excellent proofreading skills.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills, comfortable engaging with and presenting at senior levels
- Strong track record of successfully applying a brand’s visual design to a variety of collateral (video, website, signage, brochures, etc.). Must be able to draft PowerPoint presentations and direct or revise others’ work so materials are in line with Blue Meridian’s visual identity.
- Experience managing and directing the work of professional consultants holding them accountable for delivering high-quality products in a timely manner.
- Experience managing direct reports including holding them accountable for delivering against their goals, helping to manage workloads, and supporting development.
- Excellent judgment, able to anticipate needs and proactively solve problems and know when to leverage senior leaders.
- Highly energetic, self-motivated and entrepreneurial, able to balance a meticulous and highly rigorous professional approach with a flexible and empathetic responsiveness to the needs of others. While skilled at thinking and working independently and advocating own point of view, respects and solicits the contributions of others.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a professional and genial demeanor, and the ability to work with and lead people with different backgrounds and experiences.
- Strong computer skills with extensive knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and the ability to master new software quickly.
Salary & Benefits
Total compensation includes an annual base salary, the potential for an annual incentive award based on performance, and an exceptional benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 403b retirement plan with employer contributions and generous time off. Base salary will be set commensurate with chosen candidate’s knowledge, skill and experience.
How to Apply
For consideration, please include the following in your application:
- cover letter
- writing sample
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include “Director, Brand & Communications” in the subject line and let us know where you found our job post.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
Blue Meridian Partners, Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, disability, age, military or veteran status, familial status, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
 Note: This description is a guide to the primary duties and functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands and working conditions. Position descriptions are reviewed and may be revised to meet the changing needs of Blue Meridian Partners at the sole discretion of management.