Deputy Editor, New Men's Publication
- Full Time
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
We are looking for a deputy editor who has deep cultural knowledge and is passionate about the lives of black and brown men. This is an important role in building and defining a publication for men of color covering identity, culture, and real life. This high-level hire will oversee various operations and will work in lockstep with the editor-in-chief.
The deputy editor will focus on daily, weekly, and monthly story planning and commissioning. They will be responsible for the maintenance of the editorial calendar. This editor will also assign original features, reported stories, oral histories and essays. They will help the Editor-in-Chief shape the tone and voice of the publication through these stories. She or he should have a reputation of delivering phenomenal narratives written by great writers. The ideal candidate will also have the desire to seek out undiscovered and emerging voices. This person will be a master of balancing various commissioned assignments at the same time.
The individual in this position will have a strong understanding of analytics. They will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief to identify successful and underperforming trends to inform strategy. They will partner with the social lead to ideate on larger programs that can engage and build community around this audience.
This role is ideal for someone who has an eye for quality, is intellectually curious, and displays excellent judgment when it comes to commissioning broad-interest and niche stories that people want to read.
What you'll do
- Provide critical support to the EIC, in terms of budgets, processes, and editorial strategy
- Inform, establish and execute the publication's editorial calendar
- Assign engaging stories around race, culture and life for the publication every week
- Have existing relationships with established writers whom you will bring in to pitch and write stories while also identifying emerging writers
- Know what’s trending and have great ideas about followup stories
- Liaise with design on the visual execution of all special projects
- Work with staff members and writers on story packaging, including display copy
- Collaborate with the editorial, product, communications and marketing departments on the promotion of engaging stories
- Have a keen grasp on data and analytics and ability to optimize towards top-performing trends
- Work with leadership across departments to make the publication better
- Bring good ideas to work every day
Who you are
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in the field of journalism, including some editorial management experience
- You are fantastic at writing display-copy and understands how to use every element to frame a story for maximum reader engagement
- You are an ideas machine with a keen sense of what readers want
- You have a stable of writers but can solicit phenomenal writers who are not yet known
- You have an editorial sensibility as well as an interest in working closely with other departments
- You’re a straightforward and effective communicator
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
Sound like you? We'd love to hear from you.
This role is based in New York
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.